Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

i have a 10 yr old lab .She has had diarrhoea

Hi i have a 10 yr old lab bitch.She has had diarrhoea for the last 4 wks.She has had 2 prebiotics to no avail.She is now off her food.She was on Metacam which has now been stopped and aiso PREVICOX tablets .I am up 3 times a night to clean her as she licks herself.Any suggestions as to what the problem is?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- To make sure I got this right, she off both metacam and previcox? If so, for how long?
2- Any blood in the stool?
3- What is the name of the prebiotics she was on?
4- How much does she weigh?
5- Why was she on metacam?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No blood in stools.She has a cyst on her tail which has classed as non cancerous but gives her pain alongside her athritus.She weighs 35k Dont know name prebotics but it was administerd over 3 days Metacam 2wks Previcox 2days as she was sick with them

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Any other symptoms?
2- She is off both medications, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She is ok during the day mostly sleeping.It is generaly during the latter part of the day after her walk'I forgot to mention she is aiso on Propalin syrup for a leaking valve to stop a slight leak which it has.Yes she is off both at this time

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Geoffrey, diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. Can it be caused by Metacam or Previcox? Yes. Other possible causes are: Infections, auto immune (IBS), parasites or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Instead, start her on Metamucil (pysillium) 1 tablespoon twice a day with food. You can buy metamucil over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into a grain free diet. A diet free of corn, soy, gluten, dairy, etc. You can find this type of diet in your local pet store.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Phone family veterinarian and request a medication called Metronidazole (flagyl) for 5 days.

5- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her re-checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination, xrays and blood work as initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.