Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Labrador Retriever - male, 9 months My dog, Rigby, had his

Labrador Retriever - male, 9 months
My dog, Rigby, had his castration op earlier today approx 8 hours ago. The vet told us everything went well and he was able to come home 3 hours ago. Since he's been back at home he's been whining a good deal of the time, and as expected he's a little dazed. He also ate well earlier which I take as a good sign - I'm just concerned that he might be in pain because of the whining - it's not normal behaviour for him.
We've been given some painkillers but he's not allowed the first until tomorrow morning, around 11 hours away.
I'd be grateful if someone can let me know if this is quite normal, or otherwise. Thank you.
Bill
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he alert and responsive as usual or still a little out of it?
2- What is the name of the pain killers you have at home?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr. Peter - I'd say he is alert and responsive, but not quite 100% there - hungover, a bit distant, but he responds with a good wag of the tail at the usual times i.e. offered a treat.

The painkillers are RIMADYL 100mg 3 tablets. One to be taken with first feed.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Bill, if your vet send him home with Rimadyl it is very likely he already got the surgical dose injection of rimadyl in the clinic that last for 24 hours. It is very likely the whining is secondary to the anesthesia. You see, he may be a little dizzy; this is not painful but just the discomfort of the body eliminating the anesthesia, this is common and normal. Do Not give him rimadyl now, wait as directed by family veterinarian. Keep him warm and quiet, he is going to be fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Dr.Peter, that's the reassurance I'd hoped for. He stopped the whining about an hour ago and has gone to sleep, so looks as if he's fine as you said.

Many thanks, ***** ***** a great service.

Bill Donnelly

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Bill, by tomorrow morning he will be jumping and back to himself.

You're welcome.

Dr. Peter