Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My dog aged 8 has recently started acting odd at night. She

Customer Question

My dog aged 8 has recently started acting odd at night. She asks to go out but then just stares at us and won't move. Then she sits or lays on the lawn and won't come in as if scared. She is fine during the day. No loss of appetite or energy. When she does come in she won't come sit with us for a while. Then it all starts again. Come bedtime she is fine and sleeps well. Any ideas would be gratefully received
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

I'm Dr. Jo and I'll do my best to help you with your questions about Millie.

Dr. Jo :

I'm so sorry she's got you worried, but glad you are looking for the information you need.

Dr. Jo :

You may join the conversation by typing in what you want to say, then clicking REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

I'm going to pause the chat timer while I type some information in...

Dr. Jo :

This unusual behavior that you're describing that happens only at night could be the result of a few different things.

Dr. Jo :

The first important distinction to make is to ask, "Is this a behavior problem or is this a medical problem?"

Dr. Jo :

Even though she is acting fine during the day, it's still possible these changes are the result of some underlying medical issue.

Dr. Jo :

To pursue that, I'd advise a thorough physical examination, including basic blood tests and a urinalysis.

Dr. Jo :

Sometimes the earliest symptoms of many different medical problems can show up like this.

Dr. Jo :

And the earlier you get a diagnosis, the more likely you will have successful treatment.

Dr. Jo :

So that's the first thing I recommend: a thorough physical examination to rule in or out any medical problems causing this.

Dr. Jo :

If all potential medical problems are ruled out, then you know you are dealing with a behavioral issue.

Dr. Jo :

Your intuition may very likely be leading you in the correct direction here.

Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
I wanted to apologize for my incomplete response to you yesterday. I had technical difficulties and was unable to access your question to finish saying what I wanted to. I felt terrible about leaving you hanging.
I have more suggestions on how to manage this situation for Millie if it really is only a behavior issue and not medical.
Are you still there and interested in discussing this further? There is no additional charge to you.