Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

I want to ask about supplements dog who has hip dysplasia.

I want to ask about supplements for my dog who has hip dysplasia. Which ones will be well combined, the suitable dosage and any risks.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello Katie, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Bailey has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia but I'm a huge fan of supplements for dogs with joint issues such as this. While they don't appear to be effective for all dogs, in my experience they can help to improve the quality of life for the majority of them.

1. I have used the extract you mention in the past but another joint supplement which you might consider would be Dasaquin or Cosequin which are veterinary products specifically formulated for dogs. They contain glucosamine and chondrotin sulfate with the appropriate dosage listed on the label.
Quality control is a big problem with these products since what’s on the label is not necessarily what’s in the bottle which is why I mentioned specific brands. These are available on the internet and may be available at pet stores in the UK.
Risks are minimal; I've only heard of a handful of dogs who ever had any gastrointestinal issues with this product.
Also, fish oil supplements can be helpful since they have anti-inflammatory properties. Welactin and 3V Derm Caps are good veterinary products and are also available on the internet.
Again, the dosage is listed on the label. Dogs require more fish oil than humans do and since the veterinary products tend to be more concentrated, you don't have to give as much of it.
A few dogs have developed diarrhea when taking fish oil but this is about the only side effect I've seen.

3. Another option would be Zeel which is a human combination homeopathic has a very low incidence of adverse effects (which would be primarily gastrointestinal in nature as well.)Dose would be one tablet two to three times a day....I'd go with three times a day for the first 2 weeks, then drop back to twice a day for maintenance. It takes several weeks for these products to build up in the system, so you might not see immediate results.

I've only seen this product available on the internet although it's possible that it would be available at local human pharmacies in the UK.

Alternative therapies such as hydrotherapy, laser therapy, massage therapy and even acupuncture have been shown to be very useful for joint and spine problems although they may not be available in Turkey.

As far as drugs go for arthritis issues, I typically suggest anti-inflammatory drugs such as Deramaxx, Previcox, Rimadyl or Meloxicam.

Specific pain medicatoin includes Tramadol or Gabapentin.

These medications, however, would require a prescription from your vet.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for your advice. I have found Cosequin DS plus MSM but these work out at about £66 per month, which is more than I had anticipated for long term realistically. A UK vet friend has recommended Lamberts as a reliable supplement producer, so I wonder if you could advise which of these Glucosamine options would be suitable;

I would like her to have glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM if that’s possible.

The fish oil sounds great, especially as Bailey also has skin allergies and hot spots in summer. We have already had her on an Omega 3,6,9 supplement but these are about to run out. I had no idea these could also help with joint problems. I cant find either of your suggestions for sale in the UK, would any these Lamberts supps be suitable;

I can’t find Zeel online yet, but will ask my Mum to look in some UK health shops. Sadly no alternative therapy options available here, although we do take her swimming every day in summer which is 7 months here. She is definitely stiffer in winter ; ( I am hesitant to start her on pain killers as I don’t want her to become reliant on them. She took Meloxicam when she was diagnosed (we were living in Switzerland) and it caused blood in her stools. She was switched to Previcox which worked well, but isn’t available in Turkey.

I do have a prescription for Meloxicam which I give her one of on a longer walk day with Famodin (to help her tummy) but having already had bad experiences with this drug I don’t want to use it regularly. My vet here says Tramadol is available, but can be addictive? Not sure I translated that correctly?

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

You're more than welcome.

Joint supplement prices have skyrocketed over the last several years, probably in response to demand. As a result, there are innumerable sources of these products but as I mentioned, quality control issues abound with them since they aren't regulated in any way.
If you trust Lambert's as a brandname and supplier, then the Glucosamine Complete ( sounds like the one I'd purchase.

Their fish oil would probably be fine as well. You can use human fish oil products for dogs (which you probably already know).

I found this link to Zeel:
but obviously it would be better if your mom could find it locally.

Swimming is excellent passive exercise for the joints which may explain why she's worse in the winter. An indoor swimming pool is not likely to be in her/your future, I'm guessing???

I don't blame you for not wanting to use Meloxicam on a chronic basis if she has adverse reactions to it. Occasional use is probably what I'd give her but only when she really needs it.

I've used Tramadol in hundreds of dogs and have yet to believe or think that they've become addicted to it....although I'm not sure how we would know if that's the case. It's a potent anti-pain drug and it's my go-to drug for dogs with significant joint issues.

Bot***** *****ne is that you don't want her to be in any significant discomfort so while supplements can definitely help prevent progression of hip dysplasia in most dogs, most will also require drugs as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK great, so really I need to know specific dosages for Glucosamine, Chondriotin, MSM and fish oil. She is 33kg at the moment, but is usually around 30kg, those few extra kg are going to go as I know this in itself can make a big difference.

The levels in Cosequin DS plus MSM is 600mg glu, 300mg ch and 250mg MSM, for a dog Baileys size they suggest 3 tablets per day. If I compare that to the Lamberts one tablet is 1500mg glu, but only 300mg ch and only 150mg MSM, which doesnt seem to be the right balance.

Would I be better to buy them separately rather than a combined tablet?

For pain relief, are Meloxicam and Tramadol both NSAIDS? What is the difference? And again what dosage do you recommend?

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
The amount of Cosequin DS, as you know, is based on the body weight of the dog; I typically will suggest dosing for the equivalent amount of glucosamine when owners are considering other products and what to know how much to give.
You're probably not going to find the same amount of Chondrotin or MSM in other products so I don't worry about it too much. As long as the amount of Glucosmine is equivalent or higher, then this is what I look for on the label and suggest that owners purchase.

It looks like Lambert's will be fine for Glucsamine if you give 1.5 tablets as the dose and a little lower on the other two ingredients but I wouldn't necessarily buy them separately.

Meloxicam is a non-steroidal antiinflammatory drug which has some pain properties.
The dose I use is 0.1 mg/kg once a day which will be 3.0 mg once a day for a 30-33 kg dog.
Tramadol is solely a drug to control pain. There's quite a dosage range but I start with 1 mg/kg 2-3 times a day which will be about 30 mg for a 30-33 kg dog. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.