Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

, After inheriting an 8 yr old samoyed I took him to be

Customer Question

After inheriting an 8 yr old samoyed I took him to be groomed today and due to the previous owner dying of cancer the dog had not been groomed properly over the last 18 months. He was so matted that he has been shaved by the groomer for his own health. I know that his breed should not clippers or shaved due to the double coat but they ensured me that it would be the best thing for him as he was so matted. He has only been with us for a week and a half and I was a bit shocked to be advised this would be the best option for him.
How long will it take for his coat to grow back and is there any supplement that I can give him to encourage new growth?
Dee
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. Thank you for giving Ghost a good new home. From a coat overall appearance, thickness, luster, and fullness, a lot of groomers don't want to do a full shave down on breeds such as the Husky, Samoyed, Norwegian Elkhound or Keeshond. There is concern that because their double coats this can be irreparably damaged it in the process. It would be ideal to always try to brush out the undercoat with some spot shaving. While this is hoped for, if the coat was that matted / compromised to begin with, then this would seem to be a very hopeless / painful task. The full shave down ultimately gets rid of the matting. Could the coat not come in as well as it once was? That is possible and at this time the best you can do is to make sure he's on a good quality diet, getting good exercise / attention, and getting his coat brushed regularly to help it come in as best as it can. Some will supplement omega 3 fatty acids to help the coat have more luster and shine. As far as how long till it will start to come in well, I would hope that in a couple months it is filling in pretty good.