Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

11 year old lab, been very fit and healthy, sudden onset of

Customer Question

11 year old lab, been very fit and healthy, sudden onset of mis co ordination of hind legs
Back legs giving way when stood. Dragging feet a little. Unable to go from lay to stand suddenly. Being reserved coming down the stairs or moving off the sofa. Happened over the 4 days- before that no problems at all
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to help you. He most likely has some type of impingement on the spinal cord. It could be a bulging disk, swelling from an infection, vertebral instability or a tumor. Severe arthritis can cause this in some dogs as well, but it tends to be a more gradual onset. Although the decrease in coordination may look more sudden, you usually see signs of arthritis long before then. I would have your vet do a full neurologic exam on him and check for any back pain. They may recommend an x-ray of the back, but in many cases and MRI or CT scan may be necessary to fully evaluate impingement on the spinal cord. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
Hello Michelle,

I'm was just following up to see how Barley is doing and to see if you have any further questions?

Thanks,
Dr John