Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

, I HAVE A DOG DE BORDEUX. PAST FIVE DAYS HE HAS

Customer Question

HI, I HAVE A DOG DE BORDEUX. FOR THE PAST FIVE DAYS HE HAS HAD EXTREME DIARRHOEA WHICH IS YELLOW AND VERY FLUID. WE HAVE NOT CHANGED HIS DIET AND CANNOT THINK OF ANYTHING THAT WOULD CAUSE THIS. HAVE YOU GOT ANY IDEAS...REGARDS PAT
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Reg. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Diarrhoea can be a sign of many conditions. A change in diet is one possiblity. Other causes are infections, parasites, eating something he should not have eaten, or internal diseases such as pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, liver disease, etc.
After 5 days, if this were my own dog, I would check a sample of his stool microscopically for parasites and bacterial and blood. If that were normal, I would try a 5 day course of metronidazole (prescription medication) and see if that helps; it does in about 90% of cases in my experience.
If the diarrhoea persists, then I would start looking for other causes by doing blood tests, etc.
You could try a bland diet for a few days, like boiled chicken and rice and only start to add in biscuits when the diarrhoea starts to improve. You could try probiotics, live beneficial bacterial supplements. You could try over the counter diarrhoea medicine for people like Pepto Bismal or Imodium. If you tell me his weight, I can tell you the dose of these.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Patrick,
How is Reg doing?

Rebecca