Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

continues biting and scratching of rear legs(thigh) towards

Customer Question

continues biting and scratching of rear legs(thigh) towards end area, pulling fur out in the process, could it be an infection of the anal glands? (He, CavaPoo, has regular flea treatment). Many thanks.
Per
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

From what you have told me, it appears that your guy is suffering from an allergic reaction that could be due to many things such as fleas, pollen , foods.

For now , follow these instructions:

Give your guy Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.
If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results.

Your vet will check the anal glands but the signs of impacted or infected anal glands is rubbing his rear on the floor and licking constantly at the area of the glands...not the rear legs.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your guy feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!!