Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I rescued a female Saluki twelve months ago. She was terrified

I rescued a female Saluki twelve months ago. She was terrified of people. She is still nervous of people that she doesn't know but is fine with us. However she hates us to leave her on her own. At first we caged her but now we give her the run of the house when we go out. She barks, howls and whines. How can we stop her? We never leave her for long so I thought she would have realised by now that we will return.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

If you are mostly concerned about the noise, you can purchase a bark shock collar. They are not inhumane, because the dog learns almost immediately that if she barks she will get a static shock, so then she won't do it again when the collar is on. If you are mostly concerned about the way that she is feeling that is causing this, you will need to treat the underlying separation anxiety, which is extremely common in rescue dogs. They bond very strongly with the new owners. You can purchase a DAP collar on amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Adaptil-Appeasing-Pheromone-Collar-Medium/dp/B000HPVH78
It emits a pheromone that calms and soothes dogs. You can put it on her when you are getting ready to leave. After a month, if that doesn't help, you can talk to your veterinarian about prescribing a drug called Clomicalm, which you give once daily to help treat separation anxiety. If that doesn't work, you can try Prozac or Xanax. It will be a trial and error process finding out what works for her because every dog is different. Many dogs will never overcome this completely, but from personal experience, I can say that it does get better over time.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.