DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

Saffy is a year old saffy, from almost day one in home she

Customer Question

Saffy is a year old saffy, from almost day one in home she has chased her tail, it is constantly, we went vet was told ignore her, but it's just progressed, we try to engage with her and nothing she goes round and round, she has also gone for her cousin female Staffy that is almost 3 yr, when born the owners had to revive her, and I'm wondering if she has suffered in any way .. Mentally, we have tried every thing but we feel we have run out of options, we're not shore y but she just turns on our other Staffy x plZ can u advise ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
DrMelJ :

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help.

DrMelJ :

Obsessive tail chasing in a dog can be an obsessive-complusive disorder (like OCD in people) or can be a sign of a neurological issue...so I would not recommend continuing to ignore it

DrMelJ :

If your current vet won't help you, you may want to reach out a specialist (veterinary neurologist or veterinary behaviorist) and get more advances help.

DrMelJ :

Some dogs require anti-anxiety medications...and some just need some changes to their diet or some behaviorly modification

DrMelJ :

Here is a brief article about a study looking at obsessive tail chasing in dogs: http://phys.org/news/2012-08-canine-tail-resembles-human-obsessive.html

DrMelJ :

I hope this has been helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions.