DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My dog is being sick at least once every 2 hours, I don't know

My dog is being sick at least once every 2 hours, I don't know if it is something he has ate or a sickness bug. What should I give him to relieve his symptoms?
Category: Dog
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
DrMelJ :

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help

DrMelJ :

Could he have eaten something he shouldnt have? Gotten in the trash? Part of toy or sock? Soemthing outside?

DrMelJ :

Is he able to keep water down?

DrMelJ :

You may want to check his rectal temp. If he has a fever (temp > 39 C), then he is quite sick and needs to get to a vet

DrMelJ :

Otherwise.....you can continue to try the bland diet you have been doing and give him some Pepcid AC (famotidine) to try to settle his stomach.

DrMelJ :

The dose for famotidine depends on the size of the dog. If he is 10-15 lbs he can have 5 mg up to 2x/day. If 16-25 lbs he can have 10 mg up to 2x/day. If he is over 25 lbs he can have 20 mg.

DrMelJ :

If he can not keep water down or continues to vomit despite trying this treatment, he needs to get to a vet in the next 24 hours.

DrMelJ :

Good luck. Let me know if you have any other questions