Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my dog has taken (stolen) and Ivabradine 5mg tablet. He is

my dog has taken (stolen) and Ivabradine 5mg tablet. He is a lurcher, 11months old, just under 20 kilo. Will this harm him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup ingested 5mgs of Ivabradine. This is a novel drug used to reduce heart rate in heart patients that acts differently than other heart drugs, such as the more commonly used Beta blockers, and as such seems to have fewer side effects.
Various research studies have been done on dogs at doses ranging from 0.25mg/kg (what your pup ingested) to 1mg per kilogram of body weight and no significant problems were observed. The only effect seemed to be a slower that usual heart rate and slight decrease in getting oxygen to tissues because of that.
At this point if your fellow is otherwise young and healthy I would just keep him quiet for the next 12 to 24 hours and he should be fine. If his heart rate falls below 50 beats per minute consistently, or he is stumbling or his gum color is very pale or blue/gray in color then he should be seen on an emergency basis. I do not anticipate either of those occurring given his size, young age and the dose he took, unless he has an underlying heart problem that you are unaware of.
Please let me know if you have any further questions