Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  over 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
33084435

My Bichon Frise who is 3 years old, last week injured her leg

Customer Question

My Bichon Frise who is 3 years old, last week injured her leg as she was jumping up at the door as the postman was delivering the mail.
I Took her along to the vet last Thursday and they gave her metacam which I have been giving her daily mixed with her food. She seems a little better but not yet back to her normal self I have been keeping her indoors only letting her in the back garden for her to do her business and have tried to keep her rested.
Do you think this injury will heal without further treatment as she does not seem as bad.
Would appreciate your opoinion.
Thanking you.
Best Regards
Julie
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Bruce :

Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you with Pippa.

Dr. Bruce :

I"m sorry to hear that she is having this problem.

Dr. Bruce :

Which leg is the problem? Did the vet give a specific diagnosis? Were there any x-rays taken of the leg? Are you confining her to restrict her activity?

Dr. Bruce :

Certainly, it is possible that she will recover with no further treatment besides the medication. I usually find that 1 week is more than enough time for a young dog to fully recover. The only possible issue is that she may still be running around too much for the injury to heal. It may be a good idea for you to confine her to a crate to keep her from moving around too much even in the house. When she goes out to do her business, she should be on a leash to prevent too much stress on the leg.

Dr. Bruce :

If she is no better after a few days of strict confinement, then she needs further evaluation.

Dr. Bruce :

She would need to have an x-ray to check for any fractures or dislocations. She may even need to be seen by a specialist that does orthopedics.

Dr. Bruce :

I hope this helps and that Pippa is feeling better very soon. If you would like to continue this chat, please reply to this post and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

JACUSTOMER-bm4z28gu- :

Hi Dr. Bruce

JACUSTOMER-bm4z28gu- :

Hi Dr. Bruce.

JACUSTOMER-bm4z28gu- :

Thank you for your reply re. my Bichon Frise Pippa.

JACUSTOMER-bm4z28gu- :

I feel more reassured after your response I shall keep her rested for a few more days see how she responds then if needed take her back to the vet. She really is a handful dispite her injury .

JACUSTOMER-bm4z28gu- :

Best Regards

JACUSTOMER-bm4z28gu- :

Julie

JACUSTOMER-bm4z28gu- :

p.s. should I continue giving her the metacam for a little longer?

Dr. Bruce :

Hello again,

Dr. Bruce :

Yes, I would continue giving the metacam to help with any pain and inflammation that Pippa may be experiencing.

Dr. Bruce :

However, as I mentioned before, if Pippa is not better in a few days of strict rest, then she needs to be evaluated further (x-rays, etc).