Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I discovered a quarter inch wide wound near my dog's groin.We

Customer Question

I discovered a quarter inch wide wound near my dog's groin.We removed a tick that was located inside. The wound looks like a hole and is about a tenth of an inch deep.
Can you recommend next steps and if we should go to the vet? We can send you an image of the wound to provide you with a deeper understanding.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Peter :

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Dr. Peter :

1- Is he licking the wound?

JACUSTOMER-oghkkq4j- :

Yes, he is.

Dr. Peter :

Friend, you need to stop him from licking the wound or he is going to make it worst. In addition, do not use peroxide to clean the wound. This is what you can do:

JACUSTOMER-oghkkq4j- :

We are not letting him.

JACUSTOMER-oghkkq4j- :

I should have said that he was licking it earlier.

Dr. Peter :

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing and promote an infection. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking gnawing at affected area.
2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day. For tonight use plain water to flush the wound.
3- After flushing wound as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.
4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

JACUSTOMER-oghkkq4j- :

Can I send you an image of the wound, so you can evaluate how concerning it is?

Dr. Peter :

Friend, I don't understand why are you giving me a bad service?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.