Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Our dog Billy has had no night-time problems until about 4

Customer Question

Our dog Billy has had no night-time problems until about 4 months ago when he has suddenly started being vocal for most of the night. (it is a bark but a weak quiet one a bit more than a cry. We have tried the pheremone diffuser, which worked fine for the first month, but with the second, and we are now on the third refill he has gradually gone back to the almost continuous crying/barking.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Billy. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
When older dogs start to be vocal at night, it can be from mental confusion/brain aging/senility or "cognitive dysfunction. It can also be a sign of pain or discomfort.
You could try giving him some melatonin before bedtime. He could take 6 to 12 mg.
Some dogs with cognitive dysfunction respond to supplementation with antioxidants. You could try giving him a vitamin supplement with antioxidants, or there is a product called Cell Advance made just for dogs.
Zylkene is a new milk-based calming product for dogs.
I might also see if giving him pain medication helps him sleep through the night. The best and safest ones are by prescription so you would have to get them from a veterinarian. Anti inflammatory medication like carporfen or meloxicam may help arthritic joints. Tramadol and gabapentin are pain drugs that also might help make him drowsy.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou for your help.. We know that Billy has a touch of arthritis and we give him the tablets that contain glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and omega3. The pain from the arthritis does not seem to bother him too much. He has his walk in the morning and then sleeps off and on for the rest of the day and is fine. It is just at night that he is restless.

I think we will try the melatonin first, do we need to go to our vets or are they available in pet shops.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You can get melatonin over the counter in pharmacies and supplement stores.
Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.
Kindly consider rating my answer, when all your questions have been answered. Let me know how he is doing.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.
Rebecca