Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a two year old staffy . She has diarrhoea/sickness.

I have a two year old staffy bitch. She has diarrhoea/sickness. sometimes its just wretching But she hasbloody stools/diarrhoea she still has a appetite and drinks well. she is still full of life
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear about your girl's loose stools with a little blood and retching. I am glad to hear that her appetite remains good and she is still active and alert.
Of course anyone would be concerned about blood in the stool. The fresher the blood appears the closer the source is to her rectum.
The important factor in all of this is how your girl feels, since she seem to feel great then that is a good sign.
But colitis or inflammation of the large intestine, can be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, a viral or bacterial infection, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. Rarely a mass in the colon can be the cause, or exposure to anticoagulant rodenticides. Another possibility is an anal gland infection. These are scent glands that are located just inside the rectum and an infection can cause a bloody discharge, though that should not cause loose stools.
A raw, irritated colon can take a few days to heal. Do you know if she is getting into anything that may started her loose, bloody stools? The bleeding should clear completely with treatment over the next 2 to 3 days. If not she should be checked by her regular veterinarian and her anal glands should be checked. Well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples too as parasites are a common cause of gastrointestinal irritation and blood in the stools of dogs that seem to feel well otherwise, and parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently such that they may be picked up on the second sample or third test if the first is negative. Hookworms, whipworms, coccidia and giardia can all lead to bloody stools.
Since she still feels well now though we can try some things at home.
Since she is having some retching she may have some stomach upset and reflux that can go along with her bloody stools.
To try and settle her stomach today you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds (9 to 18 kilograms) of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds (9 to 18 kilograms) of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. These can be used for several days if necessary.
I would not feed her any food for several hours after the acid reducers are started. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as she needs fluids after all that she has lost with bloody stools. You can give her pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make her colon irritation worse.
Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate at 1ml per pound or 1 tablespoon per 15 pounds (7 kilograms) of body weight every 6 to 8 hours. This is quite safe and will coat her irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until her stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store. I like the kao-pectate formulation with kaolin and pectin better then Pepto Bismol as Pepto has salicylates which are in the same family as aspirin, and can further irritate the intestines.
If she has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea with no improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then she really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.
After her food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You should add 2 tablespoon of canned pumpkin or psyllium fiber to each meal as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.
Once she feels better (no bloody diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in her regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.
If your pup is continuing to vomit and starts feeling poorly though it would be best that she see a veterinarian as anything you give her orally will just come back up worsening her dehydration.
Best of luck with your pup, please let me know if you have any further questions.