Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog had an abscess on her back the vet prescribed Tclinacin

My dog had an abscess on her back the vet prescribed Tclinacin the abscess has now healed but half way through the course the dog developed a kind of snort like a sneeze which happens every 20seconds or so,it does not happen when the dog is at rest or sleeping,is this something to do with the drug.The dog was on as seven day course which finished yesterday,she is still snorting
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Purdy but it's not likely that the antibiotic he was taking woudl cause this sort of reaction.

Can you view the two following videos and tell me if this is what he's doing?

LINK and LINK

Thanks, Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Similar to the first video but not as severe,it just a single type snort ,she does not do it when at rest as the dog in the video did ,but only does it when active or out walking,but she does it all the time about every 20 seconds or so (when active)
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information and for viewing the videos.
I'm not sure if Purdy is a female or male, but I'll assume a "she".

If her behavior is quite similar to the first video, then she may be experiencing what's known as a Reverse Sneeze (even though it sounds like he's snorting).

A reverse sneeze is the body's attempt to clear irritants from the back part of the nasal cavity.

Any nasal, pharyngeal, or sinus irritation can result in a reverse sneeze.

When a dog only occasionally reverse sneezes, then I don't worry about it too much but when the condition becomes chronic or lasts longer than just one or two episodes, then the following are possible explanations:

1. Nasal mites although they may be difficult to find.
Treatment is fairly easy, though, with Ivermectin given every week for three doses.

2. Foreign bodies such as a blade of grass or foxtail. Often sedation with rhinoscopy is needed to detect such a problem.

3. Allergies or rhinitis/sinusitis which may be more challenging to diagnose without additional testing but response to medication (see below) can often help to rule them in or out.

4. Polyps or masses which are best diagnosed with an MRI and possible rhinoscopy and resultant biopsy.

5. Unknown which means that we can't find an underlying reason.

6. Lower airway diseases can result in secretions that are coughed up; these may irritate the nasopharynx resulting in a reverse sneeze.

I'm not sure why I have a good explanation as to why Purdy only snorts when she's active as opposed to resting though except to saw that the area may be more irritated when she's not resting.

If this were my case, I'd suggest an over the counter antihistamine such as Diphenhydramine (which may be difficult to find in the UK) at a dose of 1 mg/lb twice a day or chlorphenamine maleate (Piriton) at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day.

Sedation is a common side effect with these kinds of drugs.

I hope this helps and provides possible explanations for this behavior. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by chronic as Purdy (bitch) does it all the time when she is active ,can dogs get colds as it does seem a bit like a cold
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for not being more specific about what I meant by "chronic".

Most dogs will only snort or reverse sneeze for a short period of time and then go about their business....or they may do it several times in one day but not the next.
She's doing it continuously if I understand you correctly (except when she's sleeping or at rest), so it sounds as if there's something continuously irritating her nasal passages.

Yes, dogs can develop upper respiratory infections although they're not usually snorting so much as coughing or sneezing when they do. They can also develop a nasal discharge although not all dogs will develop one.

Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Please keep me posted about Purdy if you have a chance; I'd like to know how he fares.

Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you.

Best of luck with him. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the request for additional information.