Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

my dog licking front legs. she has no blockage in anul glands

Customer Question

my dog licking front legs. she has no blockage in anul glands no flees been wormed.she somtimes shakes and whimpers but other than that will run round eat ok and genrally seems fine
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to help you. I may need to ask you a few questions to better assess your situation.

Where on her front legs does she lick?

When do you usually notice her licking?

Any sores on her legs? If so, where?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi she seems to be licking her front legs between her paws and half waay up. she started doing this about three weeks ago. she somtimes gets up and dashes round as if irritated by somthing . if i stroke her or rub her belly or rear end she seems to stop. she also whimpers somtimes

Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information. Usually that type of paw licking is indicative of an allergy to something in the environment, although a food allergy is still possible. Diagnosing a food allergy usually involves putting them on either a prescription hypoallergenic or a prescription limited ingredient diet for 12 weeks with nothing else by mouth but water. More often than not, it is an allergy to something in the environment. At 2 years of age, she is in that range where allergies usually come up. The breed is prone to it. I would have your vet rule out skin mites and ringworm, but they will most likely need to put her on something for allergies, usually prednisone, and possibly an antibiotic for secondary infections from the licking. It helps to soak the feet a couple times a week in an antibacterial/antifungal shampoo for 5-10 minutes. Wiping the feet off after coming in from outside helps as well. The allergy and any infections have to be brought under control first, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you doctor john this is most helpfull. i will make appointment tomorrow morn. thanks jan.x

Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome. Let me know if you have further concerns.