Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

, My small JR has been diagnosed with cushings she

My small JR bitch has been diagnosed with cushings she has been on 10mg Vetoryl caps once a day, on her latest blood test the lab reported that she was becoming at risk of overdosing and that we should lower her does to 5mg. My vet seem unable to find any medication of that strength and it has been left to me to split the 10 mg caps into 2 doses which I am not happy about as I feel it too risky. Is there any other treatment or lower dose pills? I refuse to believe that I am the only person to have a light weight dog with this problem!
Hilary
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello Hilary, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Penny hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I can understand how frustrating this must be for you but clearly you are not the only owner with this particular problem when it comes to Vetoryl (or other medications for smaller dogs, for that matter).
When treating my smaller breed Cushing's Disease patients, I have Vetoryl compounded by a special pharmacy into the dosage I want since to the best of my knowledge 10 mg is the smallest manufactured size. It can also be compounded into a treat or a flavored liquid for those difficult to medicate patients.
I'm fairly certain that this service is provided for vets and their owners in the UK (LINK).

There are other treatment options for this condition such as Mitotane (LINK) which was the only drug available some years ago. Since Vetoryl has become more widely available, many vets consider it the treatment of choice for Cushing's Disease although this may also come down to personal preference.

I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb