Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

, we have recently brought home a x Staffie from the shelter.

Hi, we have recently brought home a x Staffie from the shelter. he is between 1.5 and 2 years old. Having now secured the back garden he enjoys spending time on the gras and has developed a rash. Is there a natural remedy or supplement I can give him for this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. Thank you for giving Zac a good new home! Is he licking or scratching at this rash? Can you take a photo of it and post it for me to view?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dr.
He is not really scratching too much or licking at all. In the morning the rash is a lot better but flares up again after lying on the grass for a while. How do I post a photo?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
There should be a paper clip icon that you can hit that allows you to attach a photo. Is the grass that he's lying in moist / damp?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the grass is damp. We are in Aberdeen, Scotland and there is constant rain and has been snow so the ground is damp. I am on my iPad and don't see any paper clip, just a box to send answer and a button to click "reply to expert" if I respond to the email I received will that work?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure what the interface looks like on the iPad. I have had previous individuals email pictures to***@******.*** and the moderator that receives it can then forward it on to me. Sometimes this can take a few hours to do depending on the level of business that the moderators are at. As far as this rash that he's having, the best thing that an owner may be able to do at home for it is to try to keep that area more dry and clean. With the ground being constantly damp (I've never been to Scotland but it is absolutely on the bucket list!), drying him off when he comes in from being outside should help some with this. If there is something that he's coming into contact with that may be more of an irritant to the skin, using a damp wash rag to wipe down that area prior to drying it may help even more. Some can get secondary skin infections called pyodermas that require a course of oral antibiotics. As far as a natural remedy / supplement for this, I can't think of any off the top of my head. More than anything keeping that area and the fur clean and dry should be a huge step towards helping it stay healthy.