Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

We got our 7 month old border collie (Male) neutered on Monday.

Customer Question

We got our 7 month old border collie (Male) neutered on Monday. His recovery seems to be too slow and we want to know if this is normal and if there's anything else we can do:
During the day he constantly tries licking the wound and becomes very frustrated when he can't (because of the cone collar).
He cries almost constantly and sometimes yelps while trying to lick himself. He can only take a few steps before sitting very suddenly.
He has been on Metacam since Monday and a small dose of Tramadol since Tuesday (we went back to the vet because of his distress). He has also been getting Isaderm cream twice per day since Tuesday because he had a red rash from being shaved.
I don't think he is in pain. I think it must be irritation/itching or just frustration from not being able to exercise as normal. He has gone "hyper" a few times and ran around the house at full speed without displaying any pain, and also he allows people to handle the wound without displaying any signs of pain.
The wound itself is healing well. We were back at the vet today about his distress and they said everything looks normal. They gave us "Calmex" capsules for him, but it doesn't seem to have helped. He still cries/yelps/tries to lick himself all day.
Does this level of distress sound normal?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear that your Border collie's recovery has been so hard on him and you.

Rebecca :

I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

JACUSTOMER-5rrzheyw- :

Rebecca :

A young dog, especially a high energy dog like a Border collie can have more problems like this. The cone is limiting his drive to be active and working, so he focuses on the incision and licking it. I just saw a young Border collie doing exactly this just yesterday.

Rebecca :

I would do everything you are doing as far as the anti inflammatory medication and tramadol and topical ointment. I would try to get him out for walks and exercise as much as possible. After 3 days, he should be OK for a good walk. He needs an outlet for his natural energy and to get his mind off the incision.

Rebecca :

I hope you can see what I am writing in this live chat! The website is saying you are not online.

JACUSTOMER-5rrzheyw- :

Yep I can see

Rebecca :

Great!

Rebecca :

Sometimes there are problems with the live chat.

Rebecca :

I would try keeping him interested in other things, or distracted with some obedience work and his toys.

JACUSTOMER-5rrzheyw- :

I wasn't sure about walking because he takes a few steps and then drops down really suddenly to try and lick himself. I can try though

JACUSTOMER-5rrzheyw- :

OK we'll try that

Rebecca :

I might look into a topical spray or cream that has some lidocaine in it, so he does not feel the incision bothering him. One brand is Derma Cool.

Rebecca :

Then the incision might not bother him so much.

JACUSTOMER-5rrzheyw- :

Do you think it's worth going back to our vet for a prescription of something else to keep him calm, since the "Calmex" doesn't seem to do anything? We thought maybe a small dose of something like Diazepam

Rebecca :

That might be a good idea if the herbal calming agents don't help.

Rebecca :

A tranquilizer like acepromazine, or some valium might be worth a try.

Rebecca :

I would also ask about something like Derma Cool if they have it.

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can answer or help with?

Rebecca :

Are you still there?

Rebecca :

I am still here for your questions, until you close the chat by rating my answers, so please let me know what else I can help with.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Robert,
Please let me know what other questions you have.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Robert,
How is your dog doing today?
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rebecca,

He is much better now! Back to his usual nonsense like wrecking our house.

Thanks :-)

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome; thank you for the update!