Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Website, 7 yrs old, had pea sized lump under her snout for

Customer Question

Website, 7 yrs old, had pea sized lump under her snout for a couple of weeks, this evening she is holding her head up high and the right hand side of her jaw is swollen, where the lump was is a bigger hard lump and swelling is coming from that toward her throat
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. How old is she? What breed of dog?

Rebecca :

I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

This may be an infection that is spreading, and she may need antibiotics.

JACUSTOMER-mk5zvi02- : She is 7 and she is a west highland terrier
Rebecca :

It is also possible it is some kind of growth or tumor, but a infection is most likely from your description.

Rebecca :

If I could, I would tap the swelling with a needle, and look at the cells under a microscope. If it does appear to be an infection, I would start her on antibiotics and anti inflammatory medication.

Rebecca :

Can you take her temperature with a rectal thermometer?

Rebecca :

Can she swallow? Eat and drink?

Rebecca :

Are you still here in this live chat?

Rebecca :

If you check her gums, are they pink in color, or do they seem pale to you?

JACUSTOMER-mk5zvi02- : She seems in good enough form but its obviously annoying her as she has been holding her head up, I just try to have a feel of it again and she snapped at me which is not like her at all. She ate most of her food about 4 hours ago and she has just had a drink. I'm afraid I have no way of taking her temperature
Rebecca :

It must be sore and painful if she snapped. It is good she can eat, drink, and swallow.

Rebecca :

It sounds like antibiotics and anti inflammatory medication would help; this is most likely an infection.

JACUSTOMER-mk5zvi02- : Do u think it is ok to wait until the morning to get her to a vet??
Rebecca :

Yes, if her gums are pink, and she can eat and drink.

Rebecca :

Do you have any kind of pain medication you could give her, such as tramadol? No ibuprofen or advil.

Rebecca :

Warm compresses might help, if she will let you.

JACUSTOMER-mk5zvi02- : Gums are pink and she has just eaten a treat! I think myself that she seems in relatively good form other than holding her head up - she is managing to sleep on and off as normal. I have 200mg ibuprofen tablets how much should I give her?
Rebecca :

No, no ibuprofen. Sorry if I was not clear. No ibuprofen, advil or Aleve.

Rebecca :

Tramadol, aspirin, paracematol, would be OK.

Rebecca :

How much does she weigh?

JACUSTOMER-mk5zvi02- : Ok have paracetamol, going to weigh her
Rebecca :

paracematol given long term is not safe in dogs, but one or two doses should be OK. If she is 10 kg, she can take around 100 millgrams.

Rebecca :

Sorry about the timer; a website thing beyond my control. If we get switched to the Q and A format, you can still ask question.

Rebecca :

Can you still see what I am writing?

JACUSTOMER-mk5zvi02- : 7.3kg
JACUSTOMER-mk5zvi02- : Yes
Rebecca :

Good.

Rebecca :

Keep her quiet, try the compresses, and see if giving 75 mg paracetamol helps her to be more comfortable.

Rebecca :

Let me know if I can answer or help with anything else.

Rebecca :

I will be checking back to see how she is doing.

Rebecca :

Do you have any more questions for me?

JACUSTOMER-mk5zvi02- : Ok thank you! We will go with that she is quite relaxed now lying flat so not having to hold her head - thanks for your help great service!
Rebecca :

You are welcome!

Rebecca :

Let me know if I can help with anything else,

Rebecca :

I am here until you close the conversation by rating my answer.

JACUSTOMER-mk5zvi02- : No think that will do us for now- thanks again
Rebecca :

You are welcome.

Rebecca :

Kindly consider rating my answer if all your questions have been answered.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating and the bonus.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
How is your Westie doing?

Rebecca