Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is being treated , he has a very hard painful

My dog is being treated for IBS, he has a very hard painful tummy and trapped wind. I can normally dislodge the wind and get him to burp by massaging his belly, which normally sees a good result. Tonight he has had a very noisy belly and has been dragging his belly around the floor, as he normally does, but when I started to massage his belly he took off outside and was sick. The sick was a yellowish bile with blood in it. What could this mean please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear your little one is having issues with intestinal upset. If you can please give me his age and breed that can be helpful

Dr. Altman :

The fact that he vomited with blood indicates he has a stomach ulceration that should be evaluated by your veterinarian and treated with appropriate medication

Dr. Altman :

CLICK HERE for more information on this condition in dogs

Dr. Altman :

If he is being treated with steroids such as prednisone this could potentially be the underlying cause an supplementing with gi protectants from your veterinarian will be warranted

Dr. Altman :

This can also happen with medications like cyclosporine or azathioprine as well

Dr. Altman :

Depending on the quantity of blood (blood tinged versus 1 teaspoon in a small breed dog) this could potentially be an emergency

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately treated with oral medications is contraindicated after vomiting since it could potentially result in further vomiting episodes

Customer: He is a ***** ***** and is 13 years old. He is currently taking5mg of buscopan morning and night and is taking 250mg of Oxytetracycline at night.
Dr. Altman :

If he is more comfortable, not as painful and not showing any other signs of nausea with small amount of blood you can wait 4 hours and try an antacid like famotidine 0.5 mg/ kg if you have this available

Dr. Altman :

So no steroids from what the information is you have included

Dr. Altman :

Buscopan is used for gi pain, not commonly used in the states

Dr. Altman :

Oxytetracycline is an antibiotic

Customer: This has been controlling the symptoms really well of late, but this is the second tightening of the tummy and trapped wind in a week, but tonight he has been sick, which isn't normal and there was blood in the bile. I don't have any antacids for him, I have gaviston liquid for myself for heartburn and indigestion. But I'm guessing this cannot be used on dogs! He doesn't seem to be in any pain anymore, but is a bit restless.
Dr. Altman :

Yes gaviston is not ideal in this situation for your little one

Dr. Altman :

Can you please tell me where he is on this pain assessment score? CLICK HERE

Customer: I would say he's in the mild category now, he restless and whinging but doesn't seem in any pain now and has been to his water bowl 3 times since I started chatting with you. Small amounts of water being drunk.
Dr. Altman :

I would limit the water intake tonight

Dr. Altman :

Anything taken in orally while he is nauseous can result in further vomiting and we definitely want to avoid that or he could potentially worsen his stomach ulcer

Dr. Altman :

If he continues to whine or vomits again with any blood I definitely think it will warrant a veterinary er appointment before morning

Customer: Ok, before he was sick he had just taken his nightime tablets, but obviously he has sucked them back up, do I try giving him them again or leave it. Also he hasn't eaten anything all day other than his morning buscopan.
Dr. Altman :

I would not repeat his treatments tonight

Dr. Altman :

Wait 4-6 hours after the vomiting to try small meals of white rice and boiled lean meat (1 tsp hourly). If he is holding it down then you can increase the volume while reducing the frequency but if he refuses please do not push the meals on him because it could result in further vomiting episodes

Dr. Altman :

If the vomiting recurs without blood then please have him seen by your regular vet tomorrow if you are able

Dr. Altman :

Can I assist with any additional questions tonight?

Customer: No that is brilliant thank you, ***** ***** my mind at rest. Thank you!
Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome

Dr. Altman :

I hope he is feeling better soon, truly

Dr. Altman :

I am on most of the afternoon (in Colorado) if anything changes barring a dinner break

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!