Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.
So sorry to hear your little one is having issues with intestinal upset. If you can please give me his age and breed that can be helpful
The fact that he vomited with blood indicates he has a stomach ulceration that should be evaluated by your veterinarian and treated with appropriate medication
CLICK HERE for more information on this condition in dogs
If he is being treated with steroids such as prednisone this could potentially be the underlying cause an supplementing with gi protectants from your veterinarian will be warranted
This can also happen with medications like cyclosporine or azathioprine as well
Depending on the quantity of blood (blood tinged versus 1 teaspoon in a small breed dog) this could potentially be an emergency
Unfortunately treated with oral medications is contraindicated after vomiting since it could potentially result in further vomiting episodes
If he is more comfortable, not as painful and not showing any other signs of nausea with small amount of blood you can wait 4 hours and try an antacid like famotidine 0.5 mg/ kg if you have this available
So no steroids from what the information is you have included
Buscopan is used for gi pain, not commonly used in the states
Oxytetracycline is an antibiotic
Yes gaviston is not ideal in this situation for your little one
Can you please tell me where he is on this pain assessment score? CLICK HERE
I would limit the water intake tonight
Anything taken in orally while he is nauseous can result in further vomiting and we definitely want to avoid that or he could potentially worsen his stomach ulcer
If he continues to whine or vomits again with any blood I definitely think it will warrant a veterinary er appointment before morning
I would not repeat his treatments tonight
Wait 4-6 hours after the vomiting to try small meals of white rice and boiled lean meat (1 tsp hourly). If he is holding it down then you can increase the volume while reducing the frequency but if he refuses please do not push the meals on him because it could result in further vomiting episodes
If the vomiting recurs without blood then please have him seen by your regular vet tomorrow if you are able
Can I assist with any additional questions tonight?
You are very welcome
I hope he is feeling better soon, truly
I am on most of the afternoon (in Colorado) if anything changes barring a dinner break
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!