Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog, 5 year old cross, loves to swim, chase and chew sticks

My dog, 5 year old cross, loves to swim, chase and chew sticks etc. Today when we returned from long river walk she has been sick and since then, about an hour, has looked distressed, preoccupied and unable to find a comfortable position. I am worried that a piece of stick, or other, could be stuck in her gut or that she has swallowed harmful. She is dribbling quite a lot.... What should I do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear Billie is having issues today

Dr. Altman :

Is she dribbling urine or saliva?

Customer: Saliva
Dr. Altman :

OK, is she attempting to vomit as well, dry retching?

Customer: Only vomited once about a half pint vol.
Dr. Altman :

All water? What type of dog is Billie?

Customer: Spaniel/pointer/Tibetan terrier/pug Cross bitch. Vomit inc solids from breakfast river water grass chewed stick pieces. Not retching
Dr. Altman :

The increased salivation is an indication she is still nauseous. Is her abdomen swollen at all?

Customer: Abdomen not swollen and she seems to be a little more comfortable now
Dr. Altman :

OK good, hopefully it is just the nausea that is causing her to be uncomfortable. Can you please tell me her gum color?

Customer: Her gum colour is pinky /red and our opinion is normal colour for Billie.
Dr. Altman :

Great

Dr. Altman :

So is she able to rest now? Able to lay down?

Dr. Altman :

Do you have any antacids at home, such as pepcid (famotidine) or prilosec (omeprazole)?

Customer: She is resting now and has not moved for 10/15 minutes and her overall demeanor seems to be norn
Dr. Altman :

That is a huge relief

Dr. Altman :

Perhaps her stomach overfilled with the water which can occur and I have had my own personal dog do this on occasion

Dr. Altman :

Today minimize activity the rest of the day as a precaution

Dr. Altman :

And dinner reduced to small increments of white rice and boiled chicken (1 tbsp hourly at first) to test the stomach

Dr. Altman :

If she is holding it down then increase the volume while reducing the frequency but if the vomiting recurs no more food tonight

Dr. Altman :

And water only in moderation

Dr. Altman :

But wait a good 6 hours before her next meal as a precaution

Dr. Altman :

Can I assist with any additional questions or clarify anything today?

Customer: Thanks very much for help and advice. Will follow your recommendations.
Dr. Altman :

Perfect, good luck to you and Billie

Dr. Altman :

I hope this resolves quickly for you both!

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!