Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My 7 year old Rottweiler Zeus has been unwell days which

My 7 year old Rottweiler Zeus has been unwell for 11 days which started with vomiting then diarrhoea. After 2 days of only eating small amounts he still had diarrhoea but no sickness so I took him to the vet as I was concerned having eaten a greasy pigs ear this was causing the problem.
I was given probiotic and cimetidine and told he should be ok. 2 days later he vomited again and still had diarrhoea so took him back to the vets, he had been kept on a diet of chicken and rice but he was still only eating small amounts. and very lethargic.
They kept him in to hydrate him and started antibiotics, after 4 days he came home as not vomited but still had diarrhoea that gushed like a tap and very watery no colour to it really. He has today been sick again and the very small amount of food he ate this morning has all been vomited undigested this evening. The vet had performed x-ray and ultra sound whilst he was in with them as I was concerned there was a blockage causing his symptoms, a blood test showed raised white cells which I understand is an infection and a slightly out of range protein result by 1 point. A faecal sample has been sent and we are waiting for the result in the mean time he is on the following antibiotic Metronidazole 400mgs twice daily Clavaseptin 500mgs twice daily. I feel he is getting worse as the symptoms haven't changed and he is weaker. Can you suggest what may be causing this please. Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

This sounds like a complex problem. I recommend having your veterinarian draw some blood and send it to Texas, which has a gastrointestinal laboratory that checks for deficiencies that could be causing this. Sometimes it is a vitamin deficiency or a smoldering chronic pancreatitis that cannot be picked up on ultrasound. I would send that test in right away, and I would stay on a bland diet of boiled chicken breast and white rice and probiotics in the meantime. I would continue the metronidazole for a full 10 days, and I would add in Prilosec 20mg once daily while awaiting the results.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.