Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my dog has started drinking a lot she is one and a half years

Customer Question

my dog has started drinking a lot she is one and a half years old we have four vizlas and they are working dogs they have best dried food that you soak in water others are ok but belle drinks a lot of water she is on heat at the moment
anne
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any other symptoms besides drinking a lot?
2- Is she on any medications?
3- How long has this been going on?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi

no other symptoms

no she is not on any medication

about two months

but she has always drank more thatn the other three dogs she is healthy other wise just wees alot

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Anne, I am sorry for the delay in response I was offline by the time you came back.

Anne, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is often a sign of an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thankyou my son is back from holiday Thursday but I will take to our vets will have to go in back way as she is still bleeding once again

thanks anne

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Fair enough Anne.

Yóu're welcome.