Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

border collie,14yrs old back leg problems,medication metacam.

Customer Question

border collie,14yrs old back leg problems,medication metacam. no control of bowels,eats ok
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin

Can you clarify for me, please, what "back leg problems" means to you? If Seren is ataxic ("drunken sailor") on his hind legs and is also fecal incontinent - stool falls out of him unbeknownst to him - myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) is most likely. The three most common of the myelopathies are intervertebral disk disease (a "slipped disk") and his spinal cord is being compressed by a protruding or ruptured disk; a tumor in or around his spinal cord which is similarly compressing his spinal cord; and degenerative myelopathy - a Lou Gehrig's type of neurological disorder.

An interruption to the blood supply to his spinal cord by a clot (fibrocartilaginous embolism) is another consideration. Metacam might be helpful if a disk or tumor were present but not if degenerative myelopathy or an embolism were responsible for his symptoms.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

was told backlegs problem was old age ie arthritus,some days he is ok on his legs he does not seem in pain but no control on bowels, at times has problems liftinghimsel up , he cannot lift up his tail goes out todo his

mess but no can do

many thanks paul

Thank you, ***** ***** the additional information. Seren is undoubtedly osteoarthritic at his age - both in his hips and spine but when there's no control of the bowels, his spinal cord would be involved in the disease process and at that point conservative therapy isn't likely to be of value...as you're seeing now with the failure of Metacam to correct his fecal incontinence.

I wish I had some magic for Seren. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.