Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My Giant Schnauzer (female) age 10 appears to be dribbling

My Giant Schnauzer (female) age 10 appears to be dribbling from her front bottom. She is licking furiously in this area on a regular basis. There is no smell but she appears disturbed by this. Can you help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello Annette, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Titch. I do have a few additional questions to ask first, if you don't mind:

1. Just to be clear, is she leaking from her vaginal area? Where she urinates?
2. Does she walk around leaking or does she appear to only leak when she's laying down or sleeping?
3. Is she spayed?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes she is leaking a clear fluid from the vaginal area when she us laying down. She was spayed when she was a puppy.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Annette:
Thanks for the answers to my questions.

Even though there isn't an apparent odor to the liquid that she's leaking, this sounds like Titch may be suffering from urinary incontinence. This is a condition that affects spayed dogs (but not all spayed dogs) where their bladder sphincter control is diminished and they can leak urine at rest or while sleeping.
This is a totally involuntary activity. This problem can come and go, they can leak a small amount of urine or a large amount but it always progresses to an every day occurrence. Many dogs are quite bothered when they leak because they like to keep themselves clean or because it "tickles" but many will lick this area when moisture is present.

There are several very effective medications for the problem.

1. Proin (phenypropanolamine) which is a drug that needs to be given 1-2 times a day. If she only leaks at night, then it only needs to be given in the pm. If she leaks all day, then she will need it twice daily.
The drug controls this problem very well and is considered safe long term. My own personal dog had been on it for 7-8 years before she passed.

2. DES which is estrogen. This is what was used years ago but today, it has to be compounded by a special pharmacy. Dogs are weaned down to 1-2 times a week to control this issue. It can affect platelets so that a CBC needs to be regularly monitored.

3. There’s a new veterinary drug, Incurin (estriol) which is also available. It’s dosed similarly to DES above.

I always suggest that a urinalysis be evaluated first to rule out a urinary tract infection first prior to starting a dog on drugs for this condition. And, there are other possible causes for leakage such as issues with the nerves originating from the spinal cord....but the most common explanation is going to be reduced sphincter tone because her estrogen levels are low (secondary to her being spayed).

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would it help her if we took her out more regularly for a pee?Hi Annette,
I hope you are well. We both saw this yesterday.
I would never advise to do this. A new site should never be announced on the day it goes live. You are highlighting a new site, and potentially all its problems, to everyone. It is just never a good idea. There were problems on the site last night when we read this email - the most obvious being the social feed not pulling through to the homepage correctly and there being a blank space on the homepage.
The other glaring issue for me is that the main slider on the homepage doesn't link anywhere when you click it. You should view each section of your website as a potential revenue stream or valuable asset to your members - this is a massive wasted opportunity right at the very top of your site.
Despite Matt saying the navigation is now easier for members, I would disagree. Once you have entered a page it is not obvious that there is a second navigation bar.
I did not instantly know that training/Fitness Team/Personal training was a navigation bar. It just feels like the customer journey around the site has not been thought through.
The other issue I have is the url. Are you changing to hallamshire.net or is that just for testing? I would not advise you do this. You should put the new site on the old url. This is because you have built up years of page ranking on the old site and in terms of ranking on google the age of the url is the key thing - over keywords etc. You can redirect hallamshire.net to the old site to maintain that url.
I have looked at the site from a copywriter's perspective and the main issues are:
- inconsistencies in how the club talks about itself
- no set tone/personality across the site
- professionalism of the writing is questionable in areas
In addition to this there are no key words used in main areas of text (Sheffield gym/ Sheffield Tennis etc), which are essential if you want to rank highly in Google. My tech team are going to look at the site for you this week and we will be able to provide you with feedback that you can pass to Field.
The questions I asked yesterday, can I assume these have not been asked before? Would it be possible for you to let me know what the objective of the site is. If you aren't sure then what is the overall business objective for the next year - this can be translated to your marketing/website.
Victoria
On Mar 03, 2015, at 10:27 AM, Annette Illidge wrote:
Hi Ben and Vic,
Just to let you know - this has already been sent out to the members.
Annette
Begin forwarded message:
From: "Matt Whitaker"
Date: 2 March 2015 17:14:06 GMT
To: "Info"
Subject: New Website @ Hallamshire
Dear Member,
This afternoon we are starting to roll out our brand new website. This website has been built to be much more user friendly for both members and non-members, and is hopefully easier to navigate around. The new website can still be found at the same web address www.hallamshire.net and will take up to 48 hours to be visible to all (due to different server switchover times).
Your Member ID and PIN number will remain the same, and you can still use our website to book courts and view the current box leagues (tennis box leagues will be added tomorrow). Hopefully, you’ll notice a number of changes straight away, with further improvements being added over the coming weeks. These include:-
· Much clearer navigation and relevant information for all the websites users. You’ll find gym, squash and tennis etiquette information, booking rules for our racket members, the Club’s current catering menu and news articles relevant to each section of the Club
· Specific links for other websites we think will be of interest to you
· A unique members area bespoke to your membership category. Tennis members will receive tennis specific information, gym members specific gym news etc...... You’ll also be able to see your contact details the Club holds and when your current membership expires at the Club
· Shortly, you will be able to access up to date box league tables, so you’ll know where you are in your league, and how many matches other players have played by the players in your division
· We’ll also be launching online renewals over the coming months, which will allow easier continuation of your club membership
· A truly mobile version of the website is available, formatted to be used on any smart phone or tablet
· Access to the Club newsletter at any time
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Annette:
I think you inadvertently sent me information that you didn't intend to send so I'll just ignore it and answer the question that seems relevant to your Titch.

Taking her outside more often to urinate may help somewhat but it typically won't resolve the problem entirely. Urine constantly builds up in the bladder. If her sphincter control is poor, then ultimately urine is going to leak out even if the bladder is not very full.

There is a supplement by Recovery called Canine Incontinence Support (LINK) which may be worth a try.
Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Annette:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Best of luck with Titch. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.