DrJessicaO
DrJessicaO, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of private practice with dogs, cats, exotics, pocket pets, etc
41353408

my ***** ***** seems to have an eye problem have taken him

my ***** ***** seems to have an eye problem have taken him to my local vet who says his fine but his eye is not opening up,it almost seems as though the skin in the corner of his eye is coming over the eye,it seems worse when he is tired
Category: Dog
Expert:  DrJessicaO replied 1 year ago.
DrJessicaO :

Hi there,

DrJessicaO :

My name is***** and I would like to try to help you. Did your veterinarian perform any diagnostics on JD's eye?

Customer:

yes,he did ,jds eye seemed to be more open than now,it is not opening so well to the point that he seems to keep it shut .he looks like his keen on bright light

DrJessicaO :

Ok, do you know if he did a stain to check for a corneal ulcer? The most common reason a dog will have the nictitating membrane, or 3rd eyelid, exposed and be sensitive to light is a corneal ulcer. This is an abrasion or scratch along the surface of the eye and can cause the eye to be very painful. Are you using any medications on the eye?

Customer:

no.he did]

Customer:

no,and he is not on any medication

DrJessicaO :

Ok so if the stain was negative it is possible that this is just a superficial "scratch" and not a deeper ulcer. This means it should heal on its own, but may take some time. It is important to keep him from scratching or rubbing the eye. I would also recommend administering preservative free artificial tears every 6-8 hours to keep the eye lubricated. If he is really squinting excessively and is not on any other oral medications, you can give him 1/2 of a baby aspirin (1/2 of an 81 mg aspirin) once a day to help decrease any inflammation and help with discomfort. If you feel like things are starting to get worse again over the next few days- if the eye starts to become increasingly red, appears to be bulging, if you see green or yellow discharge, or if the other eye becomes affected, he should be seen again for a follow-up visit. Does this all make sense, and do you have any other questions regarding JD?

DrJessicaO :

I should also mention that occasionally the 3rd eyelid (that piece of skin in the corner) can also become irritated, inflamed, or scratched and this is difficult to visualize- so again, if JD does not start to feel better within the next few days, he will need a recheck exam.

Customer:

ok,thank you for the above,his eye is a bit swollen but it doesnt have a discharge and its not annoying him just looks strange

DrJessicaO :

Ok you can also start to warm compress the eye if he will allow it- this will help to decrease inflammation and give him some comfort.

Customer:

ok will do many thanks

DrJessicaO :

If the eye itself is "bulging", this could be a sign of glaucoma and he should be seen right away.

DrJessicaO :

You are welcome- let me know how he does! :)

DrJessicaO, Veterinarian
Experience: 7 years of private practice with dogs, cats, exotics, pocket pets, etc