Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a lab x staffy, approx. 18months. Had him .

I have a lab x staffy, approx. 18months. Had him for 2months. Today he has been sick 3 times and is out of sorts. The dog loves chewing and has had knuckle bones to chew on.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any diarrhea?
2- Is he lethargic?
3- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
4- How much does he weigh?
5- What is in the vomit?
6- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1-poo runnier than norm.

2-yes very

3-no but the knuckle bone.

4-normal weight for a dog his size, not overweight

5-bits of bone

6-no

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
David, having a history of eating knuckle bones and seeing them in the vomit the immediate concern would be the possibility of an obstruction; this can certainly explain the vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. It is a concern because if there is a bone obstructed it can perforate the gastrointestinal tract with a fatal outcome. For this reason I would strongly recommend having him checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can for xrays. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.
4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination and xrays.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter