Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

. My 11 month lab pup has developed really bad smelling

Customer Question

My 11 month lab pup has developed really bad smelling feet.This smell has transferred to furniture and clothing even though i have washed them thoroughly with Hibiscrub. I have always loved the smell of dogs feet so i cant understand why they smell so bad. He has no signs of infection or fungus. Can you help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.

Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin

Would you describe the smell to be of dirty gym socks? If so, it's a seborrheic odor of rancid skin oils and when present in an 11 month suggests canine primary seborrhea - a hereditary disorder of keratinization. Early clinical signs may only involve one part of the skin - in this case the interdigital spaces - but can worsen with age and include a dull, dry, lusterless hair coat, excessive scaling (dandruff), follicular casts, scaly and crusty seborrheic patches and plaques, and greasy maladorous skin. Worsening is usually associated with secondary bacterial and yeast (Malassezia) infection but that doesn't sound as if it's a problem at this time.

For now, symptomatic control should involve antiseborrheic shampooing as often as necessary; initially, every 3 days would be prudent. You needn't shampoo Fripp in any areas other than his feet if you don't believe that other areas are involved. These shampoos should contain some combination of tar, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, sulfur, or phytosphingosine. You should be able to find such a shampoo over the counter in a pet/agricultural merchant store or at Fripp's vet hospital.

Daily adjunct therapy with oral fatty acid supplementation may be helpful. I dose the fatty acids such as fish oil at 40 mg/kg daily of the EPA in the fish oil. You should be able to find the amount of EPA on the fish oil label. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.