Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Dog eating well but getting thin and seems to be hungry. Natural

Dog eating well but getting thin and seems to be hungry. Natural functions other end fine. He is a 14 year old Springer/Cocker cross so suspect poss old age! His brother from same litter fine.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- To make sure I got this right, he is eating as usual but losing weight, correct?
2- Is he drinking more than usual?
3- Is he losing weight all over or mainly in the back end (hips and back legs)?
4- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Dr Peter

1- Yes correct

2- No he does not appear to drink unless we give him water with his food which is wet food i.e. tin food.

3- Mainly noticeable in the back end hips and back legs and across his back

4- No

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Gill, it is common and normal as the patient becomes older to loose some weight as part of the process of aging. When we see the weight loss mainly in the back end it is usually secondary to muscle atrophy (muscles become smaller) as a result of not using their limbs as much secondary to things like arthritis of either the hips or vertebral column (back bones). It is also important to remember that weight loss can also occur secondary to systemic diseases like kidney or liver disease.
In this case, I would recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian and blood work (chemistry profile & CBC) as a general screening test to make sure everything is ok systemically (liver, kidneys, blood cells, etc.). In addition, discuss with your vet about the use of arthritic medications like Rimadyl (carprofen) if they find that he is arthritic.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Dr Peter. My husband and I have discussed whether we wish to stress Rum by taking him to the vet surgery. Indeed with having tests done will it improve his overall life expectancy. He does not appear to be in discomfort and has a great deal of love and comfortable living with us his brother Coke and our childrens dogs. I suppose I am just worried that we have left it too late for our vet to actually do very much for him. I am assuming that if he was in pain he would indicate so?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes dogs do not show symptoms of pain or discomfort. But, if it is evident that his back end is thinner secondary to a decrease in muscle mass then it is safe to assume that he may be arthritic. It is not too late, he will benefit from medications like Rimadyl (carprofen).

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter