Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

, I have a Basset puppy who is 5 months old. Very active,

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Basset puppy who is 5 months old. Very active, eats well, drinks well but every now and then when he's sleeping he shivers. It's a bit like if you are pressing on a nerve in your arm and it shakes if that makes sense. I've asked other Basset owners and got a response from he's chilly to he's seriously ill you need to see a vet. Could you give your opinion please? Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

It's difficult to say without seeing the action, but my first suspicion would be that he is dreaming.

Dr. Susan :

When a dog (or human) dreams, the descending motor pathways should be blocked, preventing movement during REM sleep.

Dr. Susan :

In children and puppies, these neural pathways are not always fully blocked.

Dr. Susan :

That is why more children sleepwalk than adults, for example.

Dr. Susan :

I suspect this is the type of movement you are seeing with your puppy.

Dr. Susan :

Slight motion that appears as shivering due to minimally engaged motor pathways.

Dr. Susan :

Since he is otherwise active and eating well, I do not think that this warrants a visit to your regular vet.

Dr. Susan :

Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.