Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

my dog got bald spot flakey skin x her coat wont grow she 7

Customer Question

my dog got bald spot flakey skin x her coat wont grow she 7 months old
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

There are certainly several possible causes for a flaky hairless area on the skin. The malaseb shampoo is excellent. This area could reflect a focal ringworm (dermatophytosis) lesion or it could be a focal bacterial infection (that is not responsive to malaseb) or it could be a focal mite infection (particularly demodex which is not itchy). If you have monitored and treated this for a while, and are not seeing improvement with the shampoo then I must recommend you take her in to be seen by her veterinarian. If she was my patient I would recommend performing a skin scraping that would look for mites, bacterial and yeast infections. If this was not seen then I would recommend do a ringworm culture and while waiting for those results (takes 2 weeks) treat topically for ringworm. Of all the possibilities my top two concerns are mites or ringworm.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.