Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

, my lab/staffy has suddenly lost the use of his rear right

Customer Question

Hi, my lab/staffy has suddenly lost the use of his rear right leg. He doesn't seem to be in any pain and is able to get around using his front legs & dragging his rear legs. He's managed to get up the stairs in our home and is currently lying on my bedroom floor. Could you please advise me on this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is he dragging both back legs or just the right?
3- How old is your dog?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
5- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

about an hour, it seems to be just the right leg. he's 5 yrs old & has no existing medical conditions or symptoms.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is he dragging the right leg or holding it up and not bearing weight?
2- Do you know how he got hurt or what was he doing when this started?
3- To make sure I got this right, he is walking on 3 legs, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

he's dragging the leg whilst using the other 3. he came in from the garden and lay down as normal, it was when he got up again that i noticed him having difficulty

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, when we see dragging of a hind limb it can be caused by different conditions; given the quick onset in this case we need to rule out: A pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc that is interfering with the motor function of the limb, hip disorders or a fracture.
Unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. The main concern is a pinched nerve, the longer it goes untreated the least likely he will regain function of the limb. For this reason I would strongly recommend having him checked tonight by ER veterinarian, do not wait.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for your time & advice.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.