Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

my blue mearl collie has a very large lump getting larger

my blue mearl collie has a
very large lump getting larger by the day started os scized of an egg over the year big as a large outspan orange other than making his gat walk leg out fns leg just under his arm pit he has been looked at i wanted to re move it or at very least reduce its scize hes such a lover loverly dog so laed back i was told by our local vet doesnt know what its atached to
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to help you. I may need to ask you a few questions to better assess your situation.
Is the mass soft or firm?
Is the mass fixed or freely movable?
What specific questions do you have more me today?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

soft,

moveable as much as under arm pit allows,

can the lump b removed or at leased reduced maby liposuction some thing like that

Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information. Without examining it, I cannot tell you if the mass can be fully removed, but if it is just a lipoma, chances are that it isn't attached to anything significant. With most lipomas, you can kind of pull them apart because fat is more friable than the rest of the tissues. I think your vet is concerned if there are any nerves or blood vessels included. It is unlikely, but if the surgery is taken slow, your vet should be able to just avoid an significant structures. Now, fully removing it would be difficult to determine. If your vet sends it into the lab for histopathology and to see if it is fully removed, the pathologist won't be able to distiunguish fat from the lipoma from the normal fat. It will look the same under the microscope, so there is a chance of it growing back, but they should be able to take a significant amount out to make him more comfortable. Now, if they haven't confirmed it is a lipoma by aspirating it or taking a biopsy, then all bets are off. As far as lipomas go, though, it shouldn't pose much of a problem surgically, assuming your vet is comfortable with larger mass removals. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
Hello Alan,

I'm was just following up to see how Spadge is doing and to see if you have any further questions?

Thanks,
Dr John