How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rebecca Your Own Question
Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 14915
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Rebecca is online now

DR my labrador retriever has just eaten a large whole box

Customer Question

Hi DR my labrador retriever has just eaten a large whole box of milk tray chockolates, my mothers day present but will he be ok or what can we do ? advice appreciated thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca :

Hello,

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Jago.

Rebecca :

I am a veterinarian,and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

How long ago did he eat the chocolate?

Rebecca :

Since it is milk chocolate, that is not as bad as dark chocolate.

Rebecca :

How much did he get? If you have the box, can you see how many ounces of candy were in it?

Rebecca :

If you tell me his weight, and how much chocolate in ounces or grams that he got, I can calculate how dangerous a dose of chocolate he got.

Rebecca :

If he ate it less than an hour ago, then it might be a good idea to try to get him to vomit. If he is 60 pounds, you can give him 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide in some milk or ice cream and he should vomit in 5 to 10 minutes.

Rebecca :

If he is 60 pounds, and he ate a pound of candy, and we estimate that half of that, or 8 ounces, is the actual milk chocolate, you will see some vomiting and diarrhea.

JACUSTOMER-ddthwflo- :

Hi Rebecca thanks for answer.He had it an hour ago it was a 400gram box 2 layers of chocs. He is drinking frequently from his water bowl.

Rebecca :

So he got 400 grams. Was it pure milk chocolate, or chocolate covered candies?

Rebecca :

How much does he weigh?

Rebecca :

If a 60 pound dog ate 400 grams of pure milk chocolate, you will see vomiting, and diarrhea but not tremors or seizures or rapid heart rate.

Rebecca :

If it was an hour ago, you could try getting him to vomit. Much more than an hour and the chocolate may be too far in him for vomiting to work.

Rebecca :

But if he is 60 pounds or larger, this amount of milk chocolate might make him sick, but it is not a dangerous or fatal dose. If it was chocolate covered candy, then he got even less actual chocolate than 400 gm.

JACUSTOMER-ddthwflo- :

Milk chocolate candies, milk and white chocolate.Milk solids 14% minimum it says. He has just had a small vomit ...He is about 64 KG I think last time weighed.

Rebecca :

White chocolate is mostly cocoa butter, not very toxic.

Rebecca :

64 kg? Very big dog! Then if this was candy, not pure chocolate, with milk solids and white chocolate then vomiting may he does.

Rebecca :

Sorry, may be all he does, nothing more serious.

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can answer, or help with?

JACUSTOMER-ddthwflo- :

Thanks for advice Rebecca yes he is a big Lab. It was cadburys milk tray chocolates. Yes I think we keep an eye on him and he may be sick again. Any concerns and will take him vets tomorrow. Hopefully not too serious for him. Its his trait to be greedy all eyes on food.I should'nt have left them in view. Many thanks for advice. No more questions thanks.

Rebecca :

You are welcome!

Rebecca :

I will be checking back to see how he is doing, but vomiting should be the worst you see.

Rebecca :

Kindly consider rating my answer if all your questions have been answered.

Rebecca :

Hope he is well when I check back with you.

Rebecca :

I am here in chat for your questions until you close it by rating my answer, so let me know if there is anything else.

JACUSTOMER-ddthwflo- :

Thankyou thats great then. This morning I found a poor cat that its back legs were flattened, I think it had been run over. It was alive and crossed the road dragging itself across in pain and hid under a car. We got him out and someone took him to the vets poor thing.

Rebecca :

Poor cat! I hope they can do something for him.

JACUSTOMER-ddthwflo- :

Hope so I will try and find out tomorrow. Thankyou

Rebecca :

You are welcome!

Rebecca and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Rebecca sorry weight wrong he is 34kg not 64 kg does this make any difference?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I thought 64 kg sounded big!
I plugged 34 kg into my "chocolate calculator" and still got vomiting and diarrhea as the only thing to worry about.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks Rebecca am reassured. Will keep an eye on him overnight. He's a black lab.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Let me know how he is doing.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
How is Jogo today?
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rebecca Jago is fine and back to his normal self. Many thanks for advice and reassured.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Great! Thanks for letting me know.
Rebecca

Related Dog Questions