Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

was walking my dog 2wks ago and another dog was trying to

Customer Question

Hi was walking my dog 2wks ago and another dog was trying to hump her not sure if anything actually happen as I was just trying to get the other dog away! She was about 12days out of her heat! They never became stuck or anything though I have begun to notice my bitches nipples growing! She only a year old and this was a much larger dog that tried to get her! Is it possible that she could be pregnant?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello Fiona, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Rocksie.
If I understand the timing correctly, there's no way that she would be showing signs of pregnancy this early even if she had managed to get pregnant from the dog who humped her 2 weeks ago.

What is possible, however, is that she either became pregnant when she was in heat 12 days earlier or she's going through what's known as a false pregnancy. This latter condition, also known as Pseudocyesis, can occur in any female although it's typically seen in the younger ones. The female in question will show all the signs of pregnancy which can include nipple enlargement, development of milk, enlargement of her abdomen, signs of impending birth, etc.; however, no puppies will be born.

If you know for certain that there's no way Rocksie could have been pregnant during her last cycle, then she's probably going through a false pregnancy.

I hope this helps to reassure you about what may be going on with her. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr Deb rocks is has not been in contact with any other dogs while she was in heat, this was her first heat, she had stopped bleeding 12days before this encounter with another dog happen! Which was 2wks ago! So do u think I should have her checked out?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Fiona:
Thanks for the additional infomation although I'm sorry I was off my computer when you responded back.

If she wasn't in contact with any dogs during her heat cycle, then she can't be pregnant. I should point out that some females don't bleed at the end of their cycles so this is not a really accurate way of determining when the cycle is over, if that makes sense.
But you're talking about 26 days ago when she was in heat if my math is correct: Her encounter with the dog who humped her was 14 days ago. She stopped bleeding 12 days before that. I don't see any way for her to be pregnant given that time line.

It's even a little soon for her nipples to become enlarged if she is going through a false pregnancy but it's possible, especially if your days are a little off.

It certainly won't hurt to have her seen so that your vet can help to confirm that she may be going through a false pregnancy if you're certain that a "real" pregnancy is impossible. However, I wouldn't think that it's absolutely necessary either. I don't treat these dogs with drugs but just wait for the whole process to run its course.

Deb