Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dig has been sick once a dog last 3 days. He's

Customer Question

My dig has been sick once a dog for the last 3 days. He's not in any obvious pain, still interacts with us and has been out for a small walk. He's not drinking anymore than usual but even though I'm feeding him bland food (rice, chicken etc) little and often he's still being sick
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and a happy to answer your question.

My fear for sweet Coco is that this may not be a digestive issue but may be the beginnings of Kidney Failure. Vomiting is the first sign of this and treatment can help Coco past this. It is important , since the treatment for a digestive issue has not resolved Cco's distess, that you have your vet run blood work on him to be sure. Catching this early can help Coco live longer.

Does that make sense to you?

Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** get him a vets appointment tomorrow. What are the treatments for kidney failure and what can I do?
This depends on the extent of the disease but there is a special diet that decreases the amount of waste products produced by the body so the kidney does not have to work very hard. We also have other treatments such as antibiotics if this is infectious and nutraceuticals to help with kidney function.

Hang in there....your vet will know what to do.

This LINK may help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can he wait to see the vet until I can get an appointment tomorrow afternoon, I don't want to make his condition worse or prevent him from getting treatment he might need.
Yes, Coco will be fine until then. IT is probably good to continue the bland diet until you see your vet. If this is early kidney disease, it has been coming on for awhile and another day wil not hurt your sweet guy.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Right, so just bland diet and small portions until tomorrow afternoon when I can get an appointment. What should I ask the vet to test him for ? I've been keeping a food diary, will this help at all?
Perfect....take everything with you and tell your vet you are worried about Kidey disease. I am sure they wil test Coco for everything because of his age but this is a start.

Good for you...you are doing great so far for sweet Coco!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, your honest advice has been really helpful. I hope we can get things sorted and get Coco feeling better soon
You are very welcome....I am sure, with you caring for your sweet guy, he will do well.
Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I will check with you to see how Coco is doing.

Have a wonderful day!!
Good morning. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on Coco. Is he doing any better? Is there any news on his condition? Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He's doing better. He has a problem with his liver and has a special diet and tablets . He seems to be a bit happier. Thank you for asking
That is great news!!! I am so happy that sweet Coco is improving...

I hope you and Coco have a wonderful day!