Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Cannot support himself on his back legs. Very wobbly when he

Customer Question

Cannot support himself on his back legs. Very wobbly when he stands up Tail always down. Cannot poo properly.
Cannot get comfortable.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- What is the name of the anti inflammatory medication he is on, milligrams and how often are you giving it?
3- How much does he weigh?
4- Any other symptoms?
5- Did your vet take xrays of his spine and hips?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

one month

Onsior 20mg

12kg

Singular incontinent

Yes, but they were inconclusive

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Colin, it sounds like Fagin may have a pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc that is interfering with the motor function of the extremities. Xrays are great and often tell us all that we need to know. But, they lack the sensitivity to evaluate soft tissues (nerves and discs) and often are normal with compression lesion of the spinal cord. In this case to diagnose Fagin may need advance imaging like an MRI or Myelogram.
Prior to going for advance imaging like an MRI I would recommend you discuss with your family veterinarian about a trial with a different class of medication like corticosteroids (prednisone) and Tramadol (pain killer); often this combination works better than Onsior alone. He will need to be off Onsior for several days before starting the prednisone, during that wash out period he will be on Tramadol for pain management.
If after starting the corticosteroids you don't significant improvement in 1-2 days I would definitely consider a consult with a neurologist/surgeon for advance imaging as described above.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter