Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Duke is a five year old Black Labrador. I cannot stop him urinating

Duke is a five year old Black Labrador. I cannot stop him urinating indoors. Often just after he has spent time in the garden he will come in and we find he has urinated in the kitchen.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
Is this a problem that has just recently started or is it something he has been dealing with his entire life?
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Dan

Thanks for your reply.

Duke was fully house trained from a puppy with no problems. This situation started about six months ago. Often it is only a small amount of wet as if he is 'marking' his territory as it were. he clearly knows he has done wrong when he sees me 'inspecting' I think he has a weak bladder rather than this being a behavioural problem but of course that's only a guess. In every other respect he is a very healthy lively Labrador He is Kennel Club registered and his injections are up to date.

***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, I have one more question, has the vet run a urine test since this problem started? Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Dan

No apology needed for the delay, I know how busy you must be.

Regarding our own Vet, no, no urine test was done when we took Duke two weeks ago for his annual injections. Unfortunately 'Kirsty' the vet who has looked after Duke since birth has moved on and the new vet is very different, her only advise was to have Duke castrated, some thing which I thoroughly disagree with in any event. I know enough about anatomy and physiology to know that would not solve the problem

Hope this helps

***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information. Based on what you are describing I would be concerned about 2 things. Likely based on what you describing he has a low grade urinary tract infection. The other possibility is a prostate infection or swelling. Dogs who are normally properly trained that start eliminating inappropriately for no reason often have infections. The irritation in the bladder can cause him to want to urinate very suddenly and a history of urinating outside then needing to go suddenly right after is very typical. The other big clue is the small volumes of urine. The irritation in the bladder makes him feel like he has a full bladder but because the sensation is irritation only then just a small amount of urine is able to come out. I would strongly suggest having a vet (the new one or one your friends trust) run a urine sample and feel his prostate. If he has bacteria in his urine and a normal prostate then likely he has a simple infection that needs antibiotics. If he has a large prostate and an infection then he'll need antibiotics and medications to shrink his prostate or a castration at that point would be medically necessary. Fortunately the simple urinary infection is the most likely.
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan