Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

should a dog be given all-in-one biscuits and tinned meat?

should a dog be given all-in-one biscuits and tinned meat? is this not too much protein?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about the pup you are looking after.
If she is being fed a very good quality diet then you shouldn't need to add any meat to her food. It is possible to feed too much protein and that can lead to weight gain and can be stressful on their kidneys.
However it is fine to feed a mixed diet of canned and dry dog food, that would be a balanced diet. Some people do that because their dogs eat poorly or refuse to eat without canned food or some sort of top dressing on their food.
If she is nauseous however something isn't sitting well with her.
It may be that she is stressed because her owner is gone, or it may be that the diet doesn't agree with her. Or it may be that something else is going on with her and she truly isn't well.
You can give her acid reducers to try and settle her stomach. Either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one half of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 kilograms of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one half of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 kilograms of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. These can be used long term if necessary as they are very safe.
I'd also pick up her food and water for now. A couple hours after the acid reducer you can offer small amounts of water or ice cubes to lick. She's likely thirsty but we need to settle her stomach first.
No food for 6-12 hours. Small amounts of water only.
After her food fast then start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) and 2/3 boiled white rice. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for several days, then start mixing in her regular diet and slowly convert her back.
If her vomiting or nausea continues then she may need injectable medication from her veterinarian to get her stomach upset under control.
So watch her for continued vomiting even with the acid reducers, blood in her stool or vomit or a fever (more than 103.5F rectally), a tense painful belly or lack of appetite after her food fast. If any of those occur it is time to seek hands on veterinary care.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.