Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

had my welsh springer two weeks he his 5 year old and he just

Customer Question

had my welsh springer two weeks he his 5 year old and he just will not rest at night when I go to bed he was with another dog in kennels now he's just with me he should stay down stairs but I have to come down and sleep down stairs I call him Jaws after pulling bars together what do you say.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry you are worried about your dog. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
How long have you had him; did you just get him from the kennel where he was with other dogs?
What bars did he pull together?
Is he kept in a crate?
How much exercise does he get?
This is an Info Request to help me answer your question.
Rebecc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes got him from the kennel with other dogs and he was with another dog most of the time I have had him 2 weeks he get 2 .3 hr walk during the day. I bought the dog cage after he ripped the cloth one up it's a cage that you put in the car.he his fine all the time when I am with him but as soon as it's time fir going to bed I put him in this cage then he trys to get out that's why I thought I would get this metal one but he pulled the wires on the door together he has damage the wood door and ripped his night bed up which was in his night cage.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
Why was the first owner giving him up at 5 years of age?
It sounds like he was never taught how to be by himself. The younger a dog is, the easier it is to teach them to be by themselves for awhile. Now that he is 5, this may not be an easy thing to "fix".
If he were mine, I would get him into a basic obedience class as soon as I could. The best treatment for unwanted behavior is training, and he needs to learn the basics: Sit Stay Down Come and then move on to more complicated things like being left alone.
It may help to start him on some anti anxiety medication such as clomipramine or amitriptyline. You will need a prescrition to get these medications. Then you work on training him and rewarding him for being calm, not being destructive, being by himself. You start by rewarding him for being calm and alone for a minute, two minutes, and gradually work up from there.
The best thing to do is to work with an experienced trainer, or a veterinarian who does behavior work.
I am sure you were hoping for a quick and easy answer, but that is rarly the case with a behavior problem.
Does he like treats, is he motivated by food? If so, you get a hollow "Kong" toy, stuff it with peanut butter, kibble, spray cheese, etc. and freeze it. Some dogs learn to be by themselves with these; they can keep a dog occupied for an hour and at the same time they are distracted by getting the food out of the Kong and forget that they are alone.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many Thanks star was a show dog for three years and because he is old they needed to get him out of the kennels because of new dog coming on they have said they will take him back but I need to keep him and do what I can with him.

Allan

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else. Thank you for the great rating.
Rebecca