Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

my golden retriever has arthritis and he has been given previcox

my golden retriever has arthritis and he has been given previcox and tramadol, my vet has suggested that I put him to sleep which I'm really struggling with, is their anything I can do to avoid this.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your questions about Charlie.

Dr. Jo :

I am so, so sorry you are going through this really difficult time.

Dr. Jo :

When I read your question, I felt compelled to reach out...

Dr. Jo :

I want you to know there are many other "tools in the toolbox" for attempting to manage Charlie's arthritis pain.

Dr. Jo :

I know I wouldn't be comfortable with a decision to put Charlie to sleep until you know you've exhausted all your options for relieving his pain, and there are still a lot of things that can be tried.

Customer:

what are they

Customer:

yes

Dr. Jo :

The combination of gabapentin along with tramadol and previcox is more effective than any drug alone.

Dr. Jo :

Additionally, switching from Previcox to another drug from the same category may be beneficial.

Customer:

can I get this from my vet

Dr. Jo :

Yes.

Dr. Jo :

There is also a wide range of dosages for tramadol and gabapentin.

Dr. Jo :

You'll want to make sure you've tried the maximum.

Dr. Jo :

There are other modalities besides drugs to try as well...

Dr. Jo :

Be sure Charlie is as skinny as he can be. That makes a huge difference in regards ***** *****

Dr. Jo :

Also, be sure he is taking a high-quality glucosamine supplement like Dasuquin or Rapid Flex.

Dr. Jo :

Herbal remedies like tumeric can also be very beneficial.

Dr. Jo :

The use of "alternative" treatments like therapy laser, cold laser, acupuncture, and VOM (veterinary orthopedic manipulation) can also provide tremendous benefit.

Dr. Jo :

If your veterinarian is unfamiliar with these things, I would ask for a referral to the closest vet who is.

Dr. Jo :

Watching Charlie's mobility decline and pain level increase has to be unbearable, but I am hopeful that help is available.

Customer:

I was thinking asking another vet and I have tried the herbal I find they work for some time but only for few days

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more at no additional charge to you. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.