Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my dog has had a mycel 2/3 tumour removed he has been given

Customer Question

my dog has had a mycel 2/3 tumour removed he has been given a weeks supply of synulox as the wound site has a infection ,he sleeps almost all the time what time span does he have
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin

Please clarify what a mycel 2/3 tumour is and from where it was removed.
I believe that you're asking about the prognosis after removal of a cutaneous grade 2 mast cell tumor. Due to inconsistencies among pathologists (especially for classification of grade 2 tumors), a two-tier histologic grading system is currently in use. This system evaluates cellular criteria such as mitotic figures (indicative of actively dividing cells) and nuclear characteristics. Dogs with high-grade tumors have a higher metastatic rate and shorter survival time than dogs with low-grade tumors. Mitotic index (MI) is an important independent predictor of prognosis. The MI (# ***** figures per 10 high-power fields) correlates with grade and prognosis. Dogs having cutaneous mast cell tumor with a MI equal to or less than 5 had a median survival time of 70 months compared to 5 months if the MI were greater than 5.

In general, the most significant prognostic indicator for mast cell tumor is tumor grade. For dogs with completely excised low-grade mast cell tumor, the prognosis is excellent: only ~5% of these tumors will recur locally or metastasize. For dogs with incompletely excised low-grade mast cell tumor where additional surgery is not possible, radiation therapy is the treatment of choice with 80-90% of dogs free of tumor 2-5 years after treatment. For dogs with high grade or high mitotic index mast cell tumor survival times vary due to metastasis and tumor recurrence. Generally additional therapy and monitoring are recommended. Importantly, ~10-40% of affected dogs (especially pugs and boxers) develop additional cutaneous mast cell tumors in their lifetime.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.