Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I hve a 15 year old miniature shnouzer, she has started drinking

I hve a 15 year old miniature shnouzer, she has started drinking a lot and I have to get up at night to let her out. She is very picky with food and really is not eating very much, just a little of what I eat. She has lost some hair from her back as well. Is it just old age? Thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to discuss your questions about Heidi.

Dr. Jo :

I'm sorry she's having trouble, but glad you are looking for the information you need.

Dr. Jo :

You may join the conversation by typing in what you want to say, then clicking REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

That way we can discuss things back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

Please let me start by saying the symptoms you are describing are nearly always caused by some type of illness, not just old age.

Dr. Jo :

A wise physician once told me, "Old age is not a disease." I'm inclined to agree.

Dr. Jo :

Drinking and urinating more frequently is a classic set of symptoms associated with the following:

Dr. Jo :

-diabetes mellitus

Dr. Jo :

-adrenal gland disease

Dr. Jo :

-uterine infection

Dr. Jo :

-liver problems

Dr. Jo :

-kidney problems

Dr. Jo :

-diabetes insipidus

Dr. Jo :

-and other types of diseases, including some cancers.

Dr. Jo :

As you can see, the list is quite broad and covers some things which are serious and others which are not.

Dr. Jo :

All of them, however, are fatal if left undiagnosed and untreated.

Dr. Jo :

Because of that, I'd encourage you to have Heidi examined by a veterinarian as soon as possible and have the necessary blood tests and urinalysis performed.

Dr. Jo :

Then you'll know exactly what you're up against and will be able to make the best decision for how to proceed.

Dr. Jo :

Again, I'm really sorry you're facing this. I know it can be scary.

Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

I see you are now online.

Dr. Jo :

Please let me know if I've been helpful so far.

Dr. Jo :

Until you can get her to the vet, please keep water available; do not restrict her water intake in order to make her more manageable.

Dr. Jo :

Doing so can make her sicker.

Dr. Jo :

Does what I've said so far help you?

Dr. Jo :

Just type in what you want to say, then click REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.

You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more at no additional charge to you. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.

If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.