Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Dr Loretta. I gave my ageing Vizsla a bone yesterday. He

Customer Question

Hi Dr Loretta. I gave my ageing Vizsla a bone yesterday. He enjoyed it but today is off his food a bit (rare) and is passing dry stools. He has also vomited during the night. The vomit contained small bits of bone. He has always done this. Its some time since he has had a bone and I thought it might be good for his teeth. A little flat but not too bad.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Bone fragment irritation of the gastrointestinal tract isn't unusual and usually remisses unaided once all of the bone passes. If my patient remains symptomatic for more than 24 hours, however, I X-ray their abdomen to get a better idea of how much - if any - bone remains in the GI tract and if there's any indication of obstruction - an abnormal gas pattern in the tract in association with visible bone.

Hopefully your Vizsla has already remissed. Please give me an update.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.r

Please disregard the info request.