Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

how much lactulose should i give an 8kg dog with constipation

Customer Question

how much lactulose should i give an 8kg dog with constipation and how long before it works
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear that you are worried about Charlie. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

How constipated is he? Is he passing some stool but with difficulty, or is he just straining and not passing any stool at all?

JACUSTOMER-nxcaqdyr- :

Yes he is passing some stools but seems to be struggling and a smaller amount than norma;

Rebecca :

Is it harder than normal?

Rebecca :

Lactulose is a stool softener. If his problems are because of hard stool, it may help. If his stools are not overly hard, lactulose may not help.

JACUSTOMER-nxcaqdyr- :

Yes and sometimes there is a bit of bloody mucus on it but only small amounts

Rebecca :

If he is 8 kg, the dose is 2 to 4 ml, every 6 t 8 hours until the stools are loose, then reduce the dose.

JACUSTOMER-nxcaqdyr- :

sorry I mean yes the stool is hard

Rebecca :

If there is bloody mucus, then he may have colitis, and lactulose would not be recommended for that.

JACUSTOMER-nxcaqdyr- :

oh I thought it could be because he was straining for such a while what is colitis and can it be treaed

Rebecca :

But if the stools are hard, then the bloody mucus could be from the straining, and maybe it will help.

JACUSTOMER-nxcaqdyr- :

yes his stools are very hard a a lot smaller in quantity than normal

Rebecca :

The lining of the colon produces blood and mucus when it is irritated. Colitis is inflammation of the lining of the colon. It can happen from very hard stool passing.

Rebecca :

I usually recommend trying fiber in the diet, before lactulose. Canned unsweetened pumpkin and cooked sweet potato are good fiber sources that dogs will usually eat.

Rebecca :

Too much lactulose could give him diarrhea, so be careful if you try it.

JACUSTOMER-nxcaqdyr- :

ok so what is the best treatment? He is a very picky eater too which doesn't help a it is a struggle to get food down him he is fed Orijen kibble

JACUSTOMER-nxcaqdyr- :

I tried pumpkin but again wasn't sure how much he should have

Rebecca :

The best treatment depends on the diagnosis, and to get a diagnosis, I would need to examine him and look at his stool. If he were mine, I would try the pumpkin or sweet potato first. A diet change might help.

Rebecca :

There is a current belief that grain free foods are best for dogs, but they are lower in fiber and can cause harder stools.

Rebecca :

If you try the pumpkin, I would just add a heaping teaspoon to each meal.

Rebecca :

It would be gentler than lactulose.

Rebecca :

If you want to try the lactulose, start with the lower dose of 2 ml (less than half a teaspoon).

JACUSTOMER-nxcaqdyr- :

ok so may need an additive such has pumpkin/sweet potato for the fiber content on a daily basis? I have 4 they are cavapoos and such picky eaters that Orijen is the only one they eat of a fashion (best of a bad bunch)

Rebecca :

Probiotics may also help his digestion. They are live beneficial bacteria supplements.

Rebecca :

Yes, if they have hard stool, I would try the pumpkin or sweet potato first.

JACUSTOMER-nxcaqdyr- :

I think half of the issue is he is a poor eater so doesn't eat anywhere near the quota he should eat (they are all the same)

Rebecca :

That is possible. Is he underweight? Does he ever vomit?

JACUSTOMER-nxcaqdyr- :

no no vomiting not really underweight the vet said they are all healthy and ok with weight but on the lower end of the weight scale

Rebecca :

Good that he is not over or underweight. Some dogs are just not great eaters. I would start with the pumpkin or sweet potato, something gentle and food based, before trying drugs and medication.

Rebecca :

You might try probiotics; I like ones made just for dogs like Fortiflora and Proviable.

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can answer, or help with?

JACUSTOMER-nxcaqdyr- :

ol thanks maybe I need to switch their food to a grain one not a grain free do you think

Rebecca :

I am not a grain free fan, and the veterinary nutritionists I talk to are not sure why this grain free trend started. Healthy grains are not bad for dogs, unless they have a particular illness or allergy to a particular grain.

JACUSTOMER-nxcaqdyr- :

ok they used to be on Burns which they were ok on I was just worried about the high rice content

Rebecca :

If they liked it, and his stools were better, you might try him on it again. Rice is a healthy grain.

JACUSTOMER-nxcaqdyr- :

ok thanks it was the biggest ingredient something like 48%/52% rice is that ok?

Rebecca :

What is the percentage of protein, do you know?

Rebecca :

For a young dog, I like food that is at least 25 to 35% protein, but it does not have to be grain free.

JACUSTOMER-nxcaqdyr- :

I

Composition:
Brown Rice (43%), Chicken Meal (23%), White Rice (12%), Chicken Oil, Oats, Peas, Sunflower Oil, Fish Meal, Vitamins & Minerals, Seaweed.

Analytical Constituents:
Crude Protein 21%, Crude Oil & Fats 11%, Crude Fibre 2.0%, Crude Ash 7.0%, Moisture 8.0%, Copper 18mg/kg, Sodium 0.16%, Calcium 1.64%, Phosphorus 1.01%, Magnesium 0.10%, Potassium 0.35%, Chloride 0.20%, Sulphur 0.15%, Essential Fatty Acid 3.62%

Nutritional Additives:
Vitamin A 25,000 iu/kg, Vitamin D3 2,000 iu/Kg, Vitamin E 150 iu/Kg, Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 1.5mg/kg, Cupric Sulphate Pentahydrate 55mg/kg, Sodium Selenite 0.6 mg/kg, Ferrous Sulphate Monohydrate 160mg/kg, Manganous Sulphate Monohydrate 100mg/kg, Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate 130mg/kg

JACUSTOMER-nxcaqdyr- :

they are 2 dogs and 16 months old and Charlie is 12 months old

JACUSTOMER-nxcaqdyr- :

2 dogs at 16 months old sorry

Rebecca :

I like the website Dogfoodadvisor.com They only give Burns food a 2.5 star rating.

JACUSTOMER-nxcaqdyr- :

yes I know that site which is another reason I changed them to Orijen because that got 5 star

Rebecca :

So I would choose a food with 4 to 5 stars but not limit it to grain free.

JACUSTOMER-nxcaqdyr- :

ok thanks for you help

Rebecca :

You are welcome! I hope he is better soon.

Rebecca :

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.

JACUSTOMER-nxcaqdyr- :

thanks

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.
Rebecca