Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My dog has been doing little sneezes and sniffles last

Customer Question

My dog has been doing little sneezes and sniffles for the last couple of days, like a cold and today sounds a bit weezy what is wrong with her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Layla. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

Is she coughing at all?

Rebecca :

Is she eating normally?

Rebecca :

If you look at her gums, are they a normal bright pink?

Rebecca :

She could have allergies, or she could have an infection. If it is an infection, it could be a virus, or a bacterial infection.

Rebecca :

If her gums are pink and she is eating, it is probably not too serious.

Rebecca :

If it is allergies, children's nose drops and antihistamines like Benadryl may help.

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

She isn't coughing just what sound like little sneezes/sniffles

Rebecca :

Can you take her temperture with a rectal thermometer? Normal is between 101 and 102.

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

She is eating normally and also running playing like normal to, she does tend to tire a little quicker than normal though

Rebecca :

If not, you could try the antihistamines and nose drops. How much does she weigh?

Rebecca :

If it is an infection, she may need antibiotics.

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

Her gums are a normal pink colour

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

I don't have rectal thermometer

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

She weighs around 27/28kg

Rebecca :

She could take 50 mg of Benadryl, diphenhydramine, 2 to 3 times daily.

Rebecca :

Or 5 mg of Claritin (loratadine) once daily.

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

tonight she sound like she is congested

Rebecca :

It could be an infection, and if it is, she might need antibiotics.

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

As the breathing sounds like it is when humans have cold, slightly weezy and congested

Rebecca :

The only over the counter medications safe for dogs with wheezing and congestion are children's nose drops, and antihistamine. If she has an infection and needs antibiotics, she will need to see a veterinarian.

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

Ok I will see how she is in the morning and make an appointment

Rebecca :

If her gums are pink and she is eating, she should be OK till tomorrow.

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

Is there anything I can put in the room where she sleeps to help her with her breathing or maybe help clear the airways

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

She is eating exactly the same as normal

Rebecca :

You could put in in a steamy bathroom, or if you have a humidifier you could put her in a room with one.

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

Ok I will try a steamy bathroom

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

For how long do you think will help?

Rebecca :

If you have any children's nose drops that can help for 12 hours. The steam may not last longer than a few hours after you stop the steam.

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

Ok thank you, ***** ***** sleeping at the moment

Rebecca :

That is good, she must not be in too much distress if she is sleeping.

Rebecca :

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

Do you think it sounds more like an infection than an allergy?

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

She is sleeping fine and the weezyness seems less too

Rebecca :

Hard to say without being able to listen to her lungs, take her temperature, and feel her lymph nodes! If she had a thick nasal and eye discharge, infection would be more likely.

Rebecca :

If she has little discharge, then allergies may be more likely.

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

Her nose discharge is a clear liquid just like a runny nose and her eyes have a little discharge

Rebecca :

Then it might be an infection, or allergies. With an infection, she is more likely to have a fever, and enlarged nodes.

Rebecca :

Many infections are viruses, and just have to run a course (like when we get a cold).

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

What are nodes?

Rebecca :

Lymph nodes, in the neck, chest, throat. Sometimes we call them "lymph glands".

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

Yeah I understand that, it's just so hard with dogs because they can't speak to you to tell you what's wrong

Rebecca :

They are part of the immune system, and get swollen with infection because they help fight infection.

Rebecca :

I know! But they can "tell" us they don't feel too bad, if they are eating normally.

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

I right yes I no what you mean

Rebecca :

I hope she is better soon. I will be checking back with you to see how she is.

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

I will try the steamed bathroom and hopefully she will get a good nights sleep be a little better in the morning. And I will make an appointment for the vets

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

Ok thank you

Rebecca :

You are welcome!

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can help with or answer?

Rebecca :

I am here for your questions until you close the chat by rating my answer. Then I can schedule a follow up to see how she is doing.

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

That is all fine thank you

Rebecca :

You are welcome!

JACUSTOMER-45l2r0zh- :

You have been a great help

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.
Rebecca