Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My 12month old female french bulldog was diagnosed with an

Customer Question

My 12month old female french bulldog was diagnosed with an inguinal hernia at 8weeks old .since she was12weeks it has gone back in. My vet said she should be spayed and not to breed from her .what is your advice ??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

Your vet is recommending she be spayed because inguinal hernia is an inherited condition, and any female puppies she has may also have the problem. In general, we recommend not breeding dogs with inheritable disorders, like male dogs with an undescended testicle.

Rebecca :

Another reason is that even though the hernia seems resolved, that area could still be weak. If she gets pregnant, as her uterus enlarges it will put pressure on the hernia area from inside, and she could herniate again. I once saw a pregnant dog that this happened to, and a puppy was growing outsider her abdomen, in the hernia. As the puppy got bigger, the situation became life threatening for mother and puppy as the hernia (in this case, a puppy) became a "strangulated hernia", where the pressure was too much. Emergency surgery saved them both.

Rebecca :

If this were my own dog, I would spay her, and at the time of spaying I would check the hernia area and if it was weak or there was still a hole in the inguinal area where another hernia could occur, I would fix the hernia at the same time as the spay.

Rebecca :

If you really want to breed her, then I would have the hernia area checked to be sure it is not going to herniate again. If there is a chance of it herniating, then that should be fixed before you breed her.

Rebecca :

I hope you can see what I am writing in live chat! I am not seeing responses from you.

Rebecca :

I will try to connect with you in another format if I don't hear from you soon.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I hope you can see what I am writing now.
You can breed her, there is no law against it. However, there may be risk, since she had a hernia. I would have it checked out to be sure there is no weakness or small hole in the inguinal area that could allow another hernia, before you breed her.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the great rating. Let me know what you decide to do.
Rebecca